From:
Mickey Rene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 14:36:35 EDT
Today my ferret Jitterbug went to the vets to get her second distemper
shot.  My mom and I ended up waiting in the car for over 50 minutes because
the vets was packed and there was no room in the waiting room.  We had the
windows down in the car and i gave Jitterbug plenty of ice to lick (whichj
works great if you don't have a water bottle with you).

Anyhow, she finally got in to the examine room, and was given her shot
after having her nails clipped.  The vet grabbed her by the scruff of the
neck to check for ear mites, which she unfortunately has again after
treatment.  Anyhow, jitters kept yawning but the vet was not concerned and
kept holding her by the neck.  Jitters was given the shot, and I brought
her back to the carwhile my mom paid the bill.

The next thing that happened scared me to death.  Jitters started coughing
and went limp in her cage.  I took her out and tried giving her water, but
Jitters refused and stayed fairly limp in my arms.  I set her on the car
seat and she just lay there flat.  I put her back in the carrier and she
just lay in there too.  So i rushed her back into the vets and they
examined her again.  The vets gave her some nutra cal and said that her
glucose may be down due to the stress of the office visit.  She didn't
come around much, and they said to leave her there for observation.  They
thought that it also could have been a reaction to the distemper shot.
Anyhow, in a couple hours my mom and i are going to go pick her up if she
is doing well enough.

Jitters is less than 4 months old and I am very concerned about her
reaction.  If anyone knows anything about this, I would deeply APPRECIATE
any information.