From:
Laura Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jun 1998 10:32:30 -0400
>The following is an actual letter and response. The name has been changed.

GO BOB!!!!  :)

>As long as we're on the subject of carpet digging, does anyone have any
>real success stories they'd like to share on the FML?  <snip>

I tried some cheap plastic runner that you can get at any hardware store,
cut it to the width of the door, placed it a bit underneath and nailed it
down good with small nails that will disappear right into the carpet.  I
used clear runners, so it didn't look *too* bad.  Seemed to work, especially
at the doors, for even if they scratched, nothing would happen, they were
just scratching plastic.  Since their efforts at carpet destruction were now
futile, they gave up, discovering new ways to "re-decorate" my home.  :>
Still have a problem by the closets though.  Don't know if the runner would
work there as well or if it will interfere with proper access... Hmm..
maybe I should try??  :)

>Now about the near escape: Brae just nearly escaped out a screen window!
>He must have found a small opening, and proceeded to dig and push at it.
>... I leave windows up all the time in the summer to help keep it cool in
>here, and Brae's never bothered the screens before.  Now that he's
>discovered he can get through them, I'm sure no screen is safe!  Do I now
>have to keep all the windows closed???

Yes, yes, yes I've experienced this!!!  One of my beautiful lil devil
children :) has always had a fixation on screens.  Holes or no holes, she
somehow knows they're the best toys in the world!!  Not only can she climb
and dig to her heart's content, but they lead to.... OUTSIDE!!!  woohooo!!
So yes, the only solution I've found so far, is to keep all windows she
can possibly reach closed at all times.  I hate having to do that since it
limits the fresh air that comes into the house, but I keep fans going and
the a/c on so at least it's cool.  If anyone has better ideas, please
help!!!  I would love to be able to open my windows again, but not at the
risk of losing a baby.

Fuzzy kisses and dooks to all,

Laura, Queen Zen, and Queen Bu