From:
Don and Sharon Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 08:27:38 -0600
I am surprised at the number of responses indicating interest in sailing
ferrets.  I will write a bit today and finish the tale tomorrow.

Our background - I am retired and have been working toward the goal of
cruising Central America in my 32 foot sailboat.  Chubie, the first ferret,
joined me several years ago, courtesy of someone who 'didn't have time for
him'.  After deciding that it was feasible to travel with him, I purchased
Dunkin' as a kit.  This turned out to be a good move, as they get along very
well and provide each other with a lot of exercise and companionship.

The decision process was difficult.  Chubie seemed to live comfortably on my
thoroughly ferret proof boat (don't think that didn't take some time and
doing!).  He was an unflappable sailor.  Even starting the engine on a quiet
day didn't seem to phase him.  My worries were more along the medical,
legal, food, and heat lines.

My first step was to call the consulates of the countries I intended to
visit (Belize, Honduras, Mexico and Guatemala).  Mexico never did give me a
clear answer, so I decided to skip them, although no one I know has ever
had the slightest problem with a cat or dog.  For the others, there is some
paperwork easily accomplished if enough time is allowed.  It consists
basically of filling out a form, UNITED STATES INTERSTATE AND INTERNATIONAL
CERTIFICATE OF HEALTH EXAMINATION FOR SMALL ANIMALS, which is usually
available from a veterinarian, following directions of where to send
copies, and waiting for the forms to be returned properly stamped.  This
whole process didn't take more than a week, but I was in Florida dealing
with consulates in Miami.  It may take longer in other locations.

My second step was to ascertain that I would be able to get the little guys
back in the country.  I made MANY phone calls and got the same answer from
everyone (I believe it was the Dept.  of Agriculture).  There would be no
problem as long as I had documentaion of their vaccinations and a health
certificate.

Then it was decision time.  I made an appointment with my vet, who does a
lot of work with ferrets, to discuss the pros and cons.  My major concerns
were the heat where I was going, and the availability of medical care, food
and vaccines.  I had done a lot of thinking about the heat, having several
ideas which I felt would work.  Vaccines and food were easy as numerous
friends had plans to visit and could bring them down.  Medical care was
another question.  Since Chubie was relatively young, we decided that, with
proper care and precaution, we didn't expect any serious problems.  My vet
promised to be readily available by email and telephone, and I was prepared
to take the first flight to Florida if any serious problems developed.  The
medical care question was probably the most difficult to deal with since I
felt that I might be exposing them to unnecessary risk.  Maybe it is the
same thing other parents go through in deciding whether or not to take
their children to some of the more exotic places in the world.  In the end,
I decided (selfishly, perhaps) that I could take better care of them than
anyone.

All of this decision making took place a year ago, and we have been cruising
happily for 9 months.  The little guys seem in very good health, get a lot
of exercise and play time, and give me lots of little ferret kisses.

Before anyone worries about Chubie and Dunkin' let me end with a brief
description of their life aboard.  First of all, they are never caged except
for their own safety (underway when the weather is rough, or when I am
working on the engine).  They have complete freedom inside the boat and
supervised time on the deck.  I even have a 'ferret fetcher' (net) readily
available if it is needed.  True to his name, Dunkin' has been in it more
than once.  They have toys and each other and never seem to lack for
something to do.  Wrestling is big time as is playing in their clear dryer
hose.  They get a lot of attention from other cruisers, and, true to their
nature, spend a lot of the day snoozing.

Tomorrow I will write something about the practical solutions to some of our
problems, and, if space permits, include a few happy and a few worrisome
accounts of their adventures.

Shirley on Chelsea B