Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 07:13:39 -0600
I have been recently asked (all right, nagged) by a high placed person in
FROLIC to address the misunderstanding about Minnesota's rabies policy.
Probably because I was there and a part of the effort and therefore might be
considered somewhat knowledgable...go figure.

Contrary to what people have been told or what official documents they have
seen or been sent the official policy of the Minnesota Department of Health
regarding rabies policy is that they are not involved in the process.  As a
result of a long, protracted administrative rules change process the public
health rule governing their recommendation 4605.7600 was changed in such a
way that the only involvement the State Public Health Department has in the
process is to monitor and keep records.  All kill & test or quarantine
decisions are made at the local level and that is where the responsibility
will lie.  Of course, State health officials have the same right to free
speech as the rest of us and can issue any opinion they want.  However,
according to letters issued by the State Attorney General's Office, any
opinions issued which may be contrary to rule or law must be clearly
identified as the individual's opinion only and not the policy of the State

The only way there could be the kind of official state policy being
described would be for the Dept.  of Public Health to go through the same
rules process and either change or ammend the rule.  I know for a fact that
they have not done this because I am one of several individuals on the list
of persons to be contacted concerning such rules changes and a source to be
consulted whenever the department seeks information from outside sources.
It would be illegal for such a policy change to be made without my first
being notified and given an opportunity to comment on it.  To date I have
recieved no such notification.

What people are being given is simply the OPINION of whoever they contacted
and carries no force of law and is unenforceable.

About this "all ferrets bite and cannot be trusted" crap....I resent that
type of general, broadstroke, stereotyping asw much as I resent the comments
made that all men are potential rapists!  I guess if you want to stretch the
point to totally unreasonable lengths both are technically true, but in the
real world these statements do nothing but paint a much darker picture than
the facts support.  Ferret biting, like any other behavior trait, in my
opinion and experience is a matter of handling and socializing.  Anyone who
ever met our ferrets knew that they were strictly taught what was and what
was not acceptable.  As a result our guys worked Midwest Pet Fair and were
handled by literally 30,000 people over a three day event with no problems.
I would not hesitate a second to hand any of my ferrets to a kindergartener
or first grader and have done so during many St. Paul Public School and
Library presentations.  There was nothiing special about any of our ferrets.
With one exceptions they were all rescues.  Some even came to us with health
and personality problems.  But with consistant work they all learned the
rules and became very productive ambassadors to the ferret community.  In my
opinion the pet that bites is the fault of the owner not the petjust like
the child who is a spoiled brat is the fault of the parents not the child.
Question: Do my ferrets bite?  Answer: Usually only if you insist.  And
you'll have to worry about me long before you get the ferret to that point.

Well, enough of my ravings, I'm going off now to lurk in some dark corner
waiting and plotting to potentially rape someone while my ferrets bite them.

"Nothing should be implied as law which leads to unjust or absurd
consequences."
                    "The game's not over until I win!"