From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 1992 11:55:01 -0500
Hi, Geri. Unfortunately, you won't find one in eastern MA, Boston, or
anywhere else in those parts. <sigh> I want one, too, but they're illegal
in MA. (yes, please strip ID info again) However, many folks apparently
do keep them just the same, as an underground. I've heard there are vets
here who will treat them, too. I used to have some contacts along these
lines, but have lost them, so I'm kind of in the same situation you are.
Although I hear the authorities aren't as strict here as in CA (the ferret,
if found, is usually deported instead of destroyed), you'll want to think
it over quite carefully if you want to attempt to keep one. I'm told that
ferrets here usually aren't discovered unless a) they escape; or b) the police
enter a home to search for another reason. They're not actively ferreted out
(sorry, couldn't resist. :-> ). We all hope legalization will come about in MA
soon, and in VT and NH, too. I'm not sure about RI, but I know they're legal
in NY and CT, so that might be an avenue for you. Sorry, don't have much
specific information; I got a lot of mine from the Ferret Rescue in MA.
In any case, keep in touch with what you decide and what you do. If you decide
to go the outlaw route, I'd love to hear about it -- you can remain anonymous
on the public list, but maybe we can exchange private notes. (Kind Listkeeper,
maybe you can help us out with that, if Geri wants to do it.) Best of luck!

Brigit <a nom de plume>