From:
Jennifer Salland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 19:58:00 -0500
To all the fuzzy-owners out there,

Though I rarely post to this list, I read it often, and have been describing
to it for more than a year and a half.  I've learned through reading in that
ferret owners are a special bunch of people, but I must tell you...

I'm overwhelmed at the response to my post yesterday about my little Dare's
liver troubles.  In the last 18 hours, I've received 25 or so responses, all
of them incredibly helpful, supportive, and comforting.  I'm trying my best
to respond to each and every one of you; if I haven't already, don't worry
-- you'll hear from me soon!  I've just had trouble keeping up with it all!
:::grin::: It seemed like all day, as soon as I finished writing one person
back, there were 2 or 3 or 4, even FIVE new letters to respond to.  The
support of my fellow fuzzbutt owners has really touched my heart, and
brought tears to my eyes.  I thank each and every one of you.

And keep those good thoughts and wishes coming -- They're working!  I spoke
to my vet twice today, once at 8:45 AM, and again 7pm.  The news on Dare is
encouraging; he is by no means out of the woods, but he's on his way back.

When the bloodwork came back yesterday, his liver enzymes were *extremely*
high - 380, when they should be somewhere around 85.  The vet was extremely
concerned, and was afraid he'd never regain a normal count.  Well... In 24
hours, it dropped from 380 to 205, what my vet called a "significant drop".
He remains at the vet tonight, but there's been lots of encouraging signs.
He's more active than he was yesterday, he even ate a little on his own, the
first time in almost a week.  They will be doing more bloodwork tomorrow,
and will have the results on Friday.  If there's another drop, and the vet
says he anticipates one, I'll be able to bring him home for the weekend!!
WooWoo!  If that happens, I will have to continue the treatment he's getting
at the vet's: a special diet, nutritional supplement, and antibiotics.

The vet still wants Dare to be in his office on Monday, no matter what.  He
would like to avoid surgery if at all possible; if the drop continues, and
Dare rebounds, the vet will "write this off" as a bacterial infection.  If
the liver enzymes go back up, it will be time for a biopsy or exploratory
surgery.  Hopefully, though, it won't come to that.  Keep your fingers
crossed - I hope to bring more good news soon!!

Thank you all,
Jennifer & Dare