Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 15:46:14 EST
Hi!  My name is Celia, and I'm currently owned by 4 wonderfully weasely
ferts.  I live with my S.O. and my daughter on Long Island, and while I
used to help my S.O. in his computer business, I am now going back to
school full time for a degree in Physical Therapy.  I've been a member of
this list since 12/95.  We recently (about 1 month ago) purchased our first
MF ferret, a silver/tawny mitt, Odo (m, 4 mnths).  Our other 3, Jake,
(m,2y9m sable), Kes (f,1y9m, champange), and Dax (f,9m,sable mitt) are all
from Path Valley.  What prompted me to write at length, (I'm a devout
lurker) is the difference in 'ferretness' in the 3 from PV and Odo from MF.
Odo by far fits the text book description of a ferret more completely than
the other 3.  He is filled with such joy, wonderment, mischief-- and his
dance, well, it is the most amazing thing I've ever witnessed.  Now, I'm not
saying that my other 3 are any less ferretty than Odo.  And I love them all
to total distraction.  But my PV 3 are more laid back, contemplative (even
as kits), and almost 'serious'.  Their play is methodical, their intent on
doing things seems to be focused and thought out.  I was so surprised when
Odo came into our lives..  the whole meaning of his life seems to be pure
abandon and chaos.  When he looks at you, straight into your eyes, your
heartbeat quickens because you can only imagine what his next move will be.
He will be standing in the middle of the floor, and jump straight into the
air, as if he has rockets under his paws.  He looks like a piece of popcorn
in a hot skillet.  He can also dance like a porpoise..front feet forward,
down first, back arched, rear feet following behind.  The stationary jumps
are what really get us all off...we are tempted to nickname him Tigger.
Even his bothers and sisters are startled by him.  When Odo starts to dance,
the others get out of the way and watch.  Jake dances only when annoyed, or
when we yell at him.  His dance consists of his head moving to the right
while his butt moves to the left, and he very rarely dances for more than 3
seconds, always ending with him scratching himself for 15 seconds!  Dax will
dance to entice the others to play.  She lifts all four feet off the floor
and propells herself diagonally.  She often dances into walls.  Kes is not a
dancer.  She also does not speak.  The only noise she makes is her snarfing
when she yawns after she wakes up.  She's very tiny, very serious, and loves
to sleep.  Especially with her humans.  If and when she does dance, her feet
never leave the floor, it's kinda shuffling-type, and it's generally in
response to Odo dancing over her!  This riles her up enough to booger out of
the way, but then she settles back down again.

This is getting kinda long.  See what happens when you don't post frequently
enough?  (Sorry, BIG).

How do YOUR weasels wardance?

-Celia