From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 12:01:14 -0600
Ok, I don't have the adrenal post finished yet.  I recieved *lots* of last
minute stuff, and I have to rip the info apart and plug it in from about 50
new responses.  Hopefully I'll have it done soon.

Q: [Is] the black footed ferret and fisher cat...the same?

A: Not unless prairie dogs climb trees.

While the exact status of the Mustelidae is undergoing revision, especially
concerning the skunks, most zoologists separate the weasels (members of the
genus _Mustela_) from the martens (members of the genus _Martes_).  This is
done for genetic, biochemical, morphological and behavioral reasons, and the
division is accepted the world over.

Martens, including the North American fisher (_Martes pennanti_) and marten
(_Martes americana_), are much better climbers (some have semi-retractible
claws) and look like a cross between th small fox and a ferret.  The larger
ones are about the size of a house cat, while the smaller ones are about
twice the size of a ferret.  Both fisher and martin have very thick fur
coats, making them quite popular in fur trapping, and indeed, they are
closely related to the Russian sable which is another member of the marten
family.  Instead of the weasel's round ears, they have pointed fox-like
ears.  They have much shorter necks than a weasel, as well as slightly
longer legs and tail.

The biggest difference is in the behavior.  Almost all weasels are adapted
for an existance that allows expoitation of burrow or water resources, and
martens, especially the fisher, are much more adapted to trees.

In contrast, the black-footed ferret is about as close in appearance as you
can get and still not be a domesticated ferret.  All members of the genus
_Mustela_ are weasels, regardless if they are called polecats, mink,
ferrets, or weasels.  All have a mask (mostly hidden in the mink), all have
very long necks, and all exploit burrowing animals (The mink not as much,
but can and does go after burrowing animals.) Since much of the natural
history of the Black-footed ferret is lost, and since it is *so* closely
related to polecats (and thus to our domesticated ferret), it is a fair
generality to compare the fisher to our ferrets, with the understanding that
I'm speaking in generalities, and trying to keep the subject on the topic of
domesticated ferrets.

Both ferrets and fishers are very smell-oriented, but fishers also rely on
sight to a higher degree.  Ferrets are generally poor climbers compared to
the fisher.  The fisher's ankles have extended rotation so it can descend
trees headfirst; ferrets will generally back down if it is too high to jump.
They have a slightly different dental pattern.  Ferret anal sac secretions
stink major bad; fishers are almost sweet in comparison.  Ferrets are
generalist carnivores, fishers are more specialized.

The major difference is, of course, ferrts have behaviors (or behaviours for
by special British friends) that have been modified through domestication,
including juvenilization, acceptance of other ferrets as siblings, decreased
teritoriality, etc.  The wildest ferret can be returned to a loving
affectionate pet, by wild animals will always be wild, even if tamed down to
a specific person.

Now, to get a little off-topic, the biggest difference between black-footed
ferrets and fishers is one is a weasel and the other a marten, different
genera, different hunting behaviors, different skeletal morphology.  But
both are clearly mustelids, so there is fair more similar between them than
different.

Bob C and 20 MO Musty Monkeys