From:
"Jerry O. Stern" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 09:53:18 -0500
Perhaps one of the Vets on the list can help me out here.  I'm a people
doctor who specializes now in Sexually transmitted diseases.  Most are viral
in nature and I have a pretty good understanding of viral transmission in
people in general.  But as I understand Rabies (and I am not an expert),
transmission among domestic animals requires some sort of exposure by either
secretions or aerosolized droppings.  In the absence of other animals, with
a ferret-proofed home (so nothing bigger than a ferret can get in either)
where is the risk of rabies?  If I have bats in my attic, my risk for rabies
is as great as my ferrets.  So why is vaccination routinely recommended?