From:
GOODLILBUD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 09:16:06 EST
Read you post re: Bilind ferret.  I was there once.

Back when I was young and stupid (and with my first ferret, Czea-toe, in
1987).  My ferret was injured due to my ignorance (ALWAYS HAVE YOUR FERRET
IN SIGHT OR IN A CARRIER WHEN TRAVELING IN A CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).  He
was binded at only 1 year old.  I was struggling with what to do at a time
when no one had any information on the critters (Meow Mix was the standard
food).  I waited for Czea-toe to give me the answer and he did!

Although I lost him to Lymphosarcoma when he was 3 (little guy never had a
chance), the last two years of his life we just as productive as a sighted
ferret.  Weasel war dances continued, only I made sure he was in the middle
of the floor - if not, he would attack the wall for bumping into him.  He
would still rough play with my fingers, joust with a feather duster and
would chase his "sounds" - bells and squeaky toys being his favorites.  His
little nose still found the food and water, although I was careful never to
move them around.  I couldn't leave him loose unsupervised because I could
never be sure if he could get himself out of those little situations ferrets
get themselves into.  I squeak trained him to come when he was called
(unhealthy treats but he loved them - I never got over the guilt of letting
him get hurt).  But- he boycotted the litterbox from then on.

Your little kid may not realize he is blind - Czae-toe seemed to have
forgotten his sighted days - so play and luvins-wize he shouldn't have to be
treated any different.  The worst part is that instead of two eyes on the
back of your head, you now need four, if he is out, always look where you
are walking and triple ferret proof your home.  Needless to say - always on
a leash while you are outside.

We are starting an Arizona State Ferret Association and in our newsletter, I
would like to do a story on blind ferrets.  Please keep me informed!!!!!  I
would say good luck, but as you will see, you won't really need it.  Ferrets
are teh best little "special" children.

Sorry not as humorous as most ferret postings - but you brought back a flood
of memories.  I really loved that little guy and I still miss him so much.
Its been seven years and I now have seven of the critters - but there will
always be Czea-toe.