From:
Tryntje Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 12:59:52 -0500
Hello all.

I am updating, at least a little anyway, on what we found out about the bug
that bit our Nikki.  Nikki is fine by the way.  Once she started settling
down, things went back to normal very quickly and the poor dear just slept
from exhaustion.  We found a picture in the encyclopedia that looked almost
exactly like the one we found by Nikki's cage.  It is a Deerfly.  However,
the caption by the picture said that this picture was two thirds the
original size and our bug was this actual size.  The feelers on our bug were
much longer and the back end of our bug seemed too square to be a Deerfly.
This may only be due to the fact that we squashed it before we realized that
maybe we should be keeping this thing in good condition so that we could
identify it.  Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, please send them.  We havn't
been to the library yet, we have just perused the books that we had at home.

What was this bug doing here in the winter someone asked?  Good question.
That was my thought.  However, we seem to be having quite a run on spiders
in this new house and as someone suggested, they may be coming from the
attic somehow - perhaps through the receptacles.  This can be a possibility
and we are looking into this.  When we moved in we had to plug up some holes
to ferret proof the place but receptacles are still fair game for bugs.

We will let you know what we find.

Take care all.
Tryntje, Cam, Tawny (dog) and the 9 fuzzybuts (Nikki's is still fuzzy too
thank God)