From:
OutlawDook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 21:31:50 EST
I was asked by Pat to forward this letter to the FML.  For those of you who
have E-mailed me for more info, this is all I have gotten so far.  Straight
from Pat.  I thank you all, for the kind words and help.  As the days to
come, there will be more.  As soon as more is available and where Pat stands
in being represented, I will get it posted.

Awhile back there were some new law interns wanting to get involved with the
Ferret Cause, are you still there and want to help ?  This can be the
biggest fire ever set in California History with the right level heads
involved and lots of dedication.  This can be the catalyst to remove the
domestic ferret from the wild ranks that F&G have them listed in.

There is a rumor of E-mail addresses being dropped in the hands of F&G of
California Ferret owners.  I hope this not being confused with the jerk who
is trying to blackmail AOL with the same crap.  California does not - I
REPEAT - does not have the resources or man power to go door to door with
search warrants for all the ferrets in California.  Now for Pats letter.

Dear Sheba,
I appreciate everything you've done and would appreciate it if you would put
this on the FML.

Dear Ferret Folks,
I don't read the FML, as my work load with Ferrets Anonymous is huge.  All I
know about what is said, is second hand.  I have been asked to tell you what
happened about Rocky.

We thought the ferret cause was making progress in California.  Things
looked hopeful for our ferret bill, and the new rabies compendium came out.

In October the San Diego Mission Valley chapter of Ferrets Anonymous decided
to have a Ferret Freedom Walk in Balboa Park, the main park of San Diego.
People were urged to bring their ferrets out, but at their own risk.  A few
days prior a news release went out.

KNSD TV station wanted to come to my house prior to the rally.  I said OK.
The ferrets were running around and I introduced the reporter and cameraman,
Tom Toklar to the ferrets.

Mr. Toklar put his camera on the ground to get some ground-level shots of
the ferrets.  Rocky grabbed him by the thumb and dragged Toklar with him.  I
thought the bite was extremely minor, but putting it under water in the
sink, Rocky had bitten more deeply than it looked.  It was in the thumb
joint and I'm sure it hurt.

At Balboa Park, Knsd sent another cameraman.  I was informed that Mr. Toklar
was at the emergency room.  I called Mr. Toklar after the walk and he told
me that he is required to go to the emergency room for any injury, no matter
how small.  The station reported on the news that it was a minor bite and no
serious damage was done.

I knew since the bite was reported that an impound order would be issued for
Rocky.  I've helped a few people go through Quarantine and it has always
been much, much easier to cooperate with animal control than say "my ferret
got away".  Besides, I beleived it was the honorable thing to do, to take
responsibility for the bite.

Animal control showed up at my door on Saturday at 8:30am.  They did not
have a warrant and I said without a warrant they couldn't take Rocky to the
shelter.  I proposed a quarantine at the vet's office and they agreed.  I
delivered Rocky to the vet and they followed.  I was very specific that
Rocky, nor any ferret, never be kept at the animal control shelter.

A few days later I dropped off the new rabies compendium calling for a 10
day quarantine for ferrets and asked animal control if they would shorten
the quarantine period.

The next day the vet called saying animal control was there demanding Rocky.
I raced down there as fast as I could, but missed them by 5 minutes.  I then
raced down to the animal shelter.

It was explained to me that San Diego animal control asked the California
Department of Health Services about the rabies compendium.  Somehow it got
to county health who said the official policy is that if the bite victim
does not go through the rabies propholaxis, the ferret is destroyed.  A call
went out to Tom Toklar who had until 4 that afternoon to agree to the rabies
series.

The pay phone next to the shelter was out of order.  I ran to a nearby
business and they let me use the phone.  My attorney was in court all day.
I called my partner, who didn't think this could happen.

The police arrived.  They said they could do nothing.  I begged to see
Rocky.  They put him in a small wire cage about 12x12x18.  He was in a small
room and we looked at him through the glass.  He could not hear me.  Rocky
was standing in feces and urine.  He looked so scared.  He looked like "How
could you do this to me?" This image is seared into my brain and is driving
me to madness.

We were told that Toklar had declined the rabies treatment.  I conveyed a
message offering any amount of money.  Not interested was the reply.

My attorney was finally reached.  I begged for a court order.  He said it
would cost $7,500 and he could not begin the process until Tuesday.

The sergeant at animal control told me nothing would happen that night.  At
6:30 that evening Public Health called to tell me that all ferret experts in
the county had discussed the matter and that Rocky would be killed.

I raced down to the shelter where the police were waiting for me.  They told
me Rocky had already been killed.

The next day I called the animal control sergeant.  I wanted to pick up the
remains.  We were given the time frame of 4 to 4:30 in the afternoon.  I
asked her if she thought there was any possibility at all that Rocky could
have rabies.  She said no and that she realizes no one will ever quarantine
a ferret again.

Since this has happened I can't sleep.  I see Rocky in that little cage.  I
can't eat.  I can't beleive people can be so mean.

I have contacted all my state and county elected representatives, the ACLU
and I have a few good leads on Attorneys.  I have been told there is really
nothing I can do, but perhaps this is a first amendment issue as it is
obvious I was punished for speaking out.

The thoughts and prayers I have recieved have probably made the difference
in keeping me going, but the pain and anger I feel seems to cut through me.

Pat Wright

Please feel free to ask Pat what you can do to help.  He has names of people
that I do not.  We can not allow this to keep happening in the state of
California.  Someone has to answer to this.  Do not send any hurtful
comments to Pat.  He is hurting enough and has always been there to help
others.  Nothing constructive can come from being mean and insensitive to
him now.

Sheba

[Moderator's note: Many further posts about this incident appear toward the
end of this FML.  BIG]