From:
Pyrophage <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1993 13:14:25 -0400
Hi there,

Thanks for mentioning that the local county/township/borough laws might
supercede the state license. It's definitely chilling to think that applying
for a license might be akin to turning onesself in. However, I find that I
like to carry the license and rabies/distemper shot vaccine info when walking
the fuzzies outdoors; this way if a cop stops me or if a streetgoer is worried
I can provide reassuring documents on the spot. I wouldn't want Wedn' and Rod'
impounded on the spot 'cos I didn't carry papers; I'd much rather have to
deal with finding them new homes in a certain time period than have them sub-
jected to a city pound. What can the city shelter workers know of ferret needs?
I'd miss them something awful but I'd know they were safe at least.

Where do you hear about events like ferret frolics?

As for cops, I walked by about a hundred cops with Wednesday on my shoulder
during the Halloween Parade last year. (Roddenberry wasn't along; crowds
befuddle him.) None of them did more than smile; one cop asked to pet her.
Ferret legality laws aren't well known, and I think they only pursue them if
a ferret bites someone.

I can't give new info about the ferret case of a few months ago... sorry!

Anyway, thanks for this perspective on NYC's "legality." It is definitely a
consideration when alerting ones government to ones ownership of ferrets.

Geri