From:
Guy & Debbie Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2098 21:52:09 -0600
For several months now, there have been postings regarding questionable
practices with CDC/Hagen ferrets from Manitoba.  Both the president -Carole
and myself have had the opportunity to visit and speak with both breeders.
Carole owns two ferrets purchased from the Hagen supplier - Dave HOLDEN and
we both own several ferrets purchased from CDC - Dave THIESEN.  Much of the
confusion, understandably comes from the fact that both breeders have the
same first name.

As the Manitoba Ferret Association was very impressed with the CDC
operation, and we were concerned about the misinformation, we spoke directly
with the Thiesen's and addressed several issues.

Regarding CDC - located in Rose Iles
1. They are a pet only business selling ferrets and in the past chinchillas.
   They have never been a fur farm!
2. They have direct contracts with individual pet stores throughout Canada
   and the US, they do not sell to a wholesaler.
3. They use M and B as their tattoo
4. They have three vets from the Morden Clinic, located approximately 20 mins
   from their farm, who travel to their farm for neutering and descenting.
   Mr. Thiesen, at considerable expense has built a Vet equipped clinic
   which is equal to the vet clinics we have volunteered at with respect
   to equipment and cleanliness.
5. Ferrets are neutered at 6 weeks - the vets will NOT do the procedure one
  day earlier, so that he is shipping the ferrets 4 days after the surgery =
  6 weeks + 4 days.
6. Retired jills/hobs are sold to area farmers to control the vermin(read
   rats).  The farmers provide proper food and shelter for these ferrets as
   they are "working animals" .  As Mr. Thiesen has lived in this area for
   many years, he knows his neighbors well, and would not sell his ferrets
   to any farmer with a "bad reputation".
7. Members of his extended family, while on vacation, when dropping in to a
   pet store, were told that the ferrets for sale - were Hagen CDC ferrets.
   There is no such thing as a Hagen CDC ferret and this pet store was not
   under contract with CDC.  It would seem that pet store staff are lumping
   any ferret shipped from Manitoba as coming from one and the same breeder
   Hagen CDC.

Regarding "Hagen" breeder - Mr. Dave Holden - located in Melita

1. Mr. Holden is under contract with Hagen to provide ferrets.
2. Mr. Holden sells them to his wholesale supplier, who in turn sells them
   to petstores affiliated with Hagen
3. Mr. Holden uses the Antler River Vet Clinic for his neutering and
   descenting
4. Mr. Holden has had several outbreaks of distemper with batches of ferrets
   he has shipped, the latest event being this past Sept.
5. Mr. Holden's operation did not meet our personal standards of what a
   breeding operation should be.  This is our personal opinion, made after a
   personal visit.  It meets the requirements required by law.  Perhaps
   Carole and I are to "fussy", but we personally will not make any future
   purchases from him as our personal statement of not supporting his
   operation.

These two breeders are located at almost opposite ends of our Province and
it would make no economic sense to have a vet from Morden travel hours
across the province to provide service that Mr. Holden can acquire within
his own locality.

In conclusion, because of the lack of proper information provided to the
staff of petstores, the best way to find out where the ferret you are
interested in buying came from, ask to see the medical sheet signed by the
vet showing that the ferret was neutered.  If it was done by the Antler
River Vet Clinic, it's a Hagen ferret.

If it was done by the Morden Vet Clinic, it is a CDC ferret.

If any FML member has proof - "medical certificate" of any kit being sold in
a pet store that is NOT almost 7 weeks old, please e-mail me at
gkelley.mb.sympatico.ca
This is a family run business with several long term employees and there is
no way ferrets should be leaving his premises before 6 1/2 weeks.  Mr.
Thiesen has asked us to be his spokesman and will not take any calls
directly.  Please respect this.

I hope that this information will clear up any confusion and concerns
regarding questionable practices.  Before you e-mail me regarding the EARLY
neutering practices; NO the Manitoba Ferret Association and Carole and
myself personally do not like it, it is required here in Manitoba.

I am sorry this post is so terribly long, but the misinformation had to be
addressed.

Deb Kelley, Zookeeper
Vice President
Manitoba Ferret Association