From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 19:38:03 -0400
It's not always an easy choice with the shelter kids--at least not for this
shelter Mom.

Sometimes a misdiagnosis ends up being good (as Judith found out last
week) -- when you find out it is wrong anyway -- here it was almost a
death sentence.

Finally, Frank Jr.  has gotten the medical attention he needed.  After
expediting him in his failing state Sunday to Brockport Animal Hosp.,
Brockport NY!-- Thank YOU Dr. Allen Edwards!!  And THANK YOU MARY - for
meeting us part way!

Today Frank underwent exam, blood work, x-rays and surgery.

Doc Edwards found the following: decaying rubber in his stomach (2 vets
stated after x-rays there wasn't any ((and instead he received an unneeded
splenectomy previously and then nearly hemorrhaged to death from a vein that
was not tied off properly - a second surgery was performed hours later to
remedy that)) he is on ulcer meds to help heal the sores in his stomach from
the decaying rubber material, ALSO he has gall stones - this was detected by
the second vet, who was at a loss for a treatment.... Frank's gall bladder
was left intact as it is healthy and --(the least of his problems), he also
was found to have abscesses from ligatures acquired from the previous
surgery (splenectomy) AND the unexpected was found - Frank Jr.  also had a
right adrenal tumor -- it was into the vena cava -- and the removal was via
ligation-- so we are now praying that this kid-- who has been able to eat
NOTHING except nutrical for the past 4 weeks will make it through the night.

This has got to be a million dollar ferret.  He will hopefully be able to
earn his keep by dooking and dancing after this is all over!!!!  What a way
to enter his fourth year of life!  Please keep your thoughts positive for
this special Ferret Wise shelter oldster!!!  We hope to have him home in
short order.

And if you get a chance PLEASE thank Doc Edwards at Brockport Animal
Hospital for making time in short order.  He has once again saved a kid that
was in real trouble.  We sure can't say enough good about him.  Frank T will
be rooming with our special kid Gabriel for the next few days after he
recovers from this -- final surgery... HI GABRIEL!!!!

Alicia
A tired, but somewhat relieved shelter MOM