From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 17:28:03 -0400
Last week a friend of ours was denied homeowner's insurance by Liberty
Mutual simply because they owned 3 ferrets.  I emailed Liberty Mutual to
inquire about their policy.  Here is their response:

"Richard,

Here's what we were able to find out about ferrets' affect on homeowner
insurance policies.

Liberty Mutual has a policy that any domesticated animals not considered
vicious by nature do not require an underwriting exception.  Currently,
ferrets are not being viewed uniformly by our regional underwriters as
domestic animals.  Our Home Office will issue a clarification to all
regional operations that ferrets are to be considered domestic animals, and
do not require underwriting exception.  This Home Office release will be
issued within the next two weeks.

We look forward to continuing to serve you.  Please feel free to share this
info with your local Liberty Mutual representative.  If you have any
additional questions, please contact us again.

Thank you."

I, for one, am very pleased with Liberty Mutual's response and their
actions.  I hope other companies who have such policies take similar steps.

Dick B.