From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:11:01 -0500
When we have so many "extra" little ones needing special care it is
extremely important not to neglect our own.  Many times it is our own that
go without the usual attention because we are so busy taking care of special
cases.  Here's what I do to make sure everyone still gets the attention they
need and a few ideas for shortcuts.

My ferrets are free roam in our home but the tips can be applied to caged
ferrets as well.  There are certain things that should be done daily, every
other day, and weekly.  Litter boxes are probably the biggest problems for
those that have a house full of fuzzie loveballs.  I have 22 litter boxes
and the majority get cleaned twice a day.  For easy clean up I use newspaper
in some, wood pellets in others.  The newspapers are easy to pick up and
toss in the trash and I keep a plastic box of fresh newspapers in each room
that I use them.  For wood pellets I only put enough in the litter box that
will last a full day - I scoop once and the next time I dump the remaining
in the trash and refill.  A container of fresh wood pellets can be kept in
each room for easy access.  Litter boxes are a daily project.  Keeping the
litter boxes clean will keep the ferrets using them.  If you let your litter
boxes get excessively dirty you are teaching your ferret not to use them so
when they get out to play they may go on the carpet or the floor.  Then you
get angry because they are doing what you actually taught them to do - not
use a litter box.  To clean boxes daily for small numbers of ferrets use a
ziplock baggie to put waste in then drop the baggie in the trash!  Works
great and no smell.  The freezer bags work best.

Let's move on to food and water.  Of course this is a daily task, sometimes
twice daily (well water is).  For ease I keep the foods in Deli Cat
containers, both sizes.  The food containers are kept in the room where that
particular food is fed (I feed 15+ types of food) and depending on how
quickly the food is eaten goes in the appropriate size of container.  For
those that don't have a zillion Deli cat containers you can use tupperware,
rubbermade, generic plastic sealing containers.  The sealed containers keep
the food fresh and free of insects.  Water containers should be large enough
to hold enough water for a couple days(if needed but should be changed
daily).  I use a cage cup filled with water under the water bottle to catch
drips and give the ferrets a choice of drinking from a cup or bottle (and in
case the bottle doesn't dispense water they still have the cup).  I grab all
water containers at once and take them to the kitchen for rinsing and
refilling.  Quick and easy.  If there are many I can put them in a plastic
tub to carry back to the room(s).

Bedding - usually a weekly change at our house and sometimes I do half of
them in the middle of the week and the rest at the end of the week.

Cage cleaning - linoleum on the the bottom and levels is easy to clean.  I
vacuum up dropped food or litter when I vacuum the rug.  Handvacs come in
handy and can be hung on a hook on the wall in the room where they would be
used the most.

Run time - For caged ferrets run time is extremely important.  If there are
several groups you can use plexiglass in doorways to let several groups out
in different rooms at one time.  If you don't have room to do that then let
everyone out that gets along together and keep the bullies caged till that
group goes back in.  You don't have to be in the room with the ferrets
during run time.  They will play with their ferret companions happily - just
make sure they get that time out or they will get depressed and may stop
eating and get sick.

Hugs and Cuddles - All the time.  When they come to you or you are taking
them out of a cage, hug-cuddle-kiss-pet for a minute or two.  Tickle tummies
and set them down to bop off.  Do this with each one.

Other ways to make time for the ferrets are to give up something you do that
is a waste of time such as watching tv (turn the tv on and listen as you
work but don't just sit down and watch the programs when there is work to do
or save that task that you have to sit down to do for when your favorite
program is on) or turn the radio on and bop around the house to the music or
get a cordless phone and call a friend and gab as you work.

If there are other human family members gain their help by making it a game
(bet I can get the litter boxes cleaned before you can finish vacuuming the
living room) or contest.

And don't waste time thinking abotu what needs to be done, just get up and
do it!

Hugs to all. tle

[P.S.]
Forgot one very important point.  No matter how tired or stressed I am the
ferrets do not deserve neglect or to live in filth.  When I come home at 10
at night I still do my chores because it isn't fair to the ferrets not to.
I might put off doing a load of laundry or changing my sheets but I never
put off cleaning litter boxes, feeding and watering, or any other task that
is beneficial to the ferrets.  If anyone is neglected in our home it would
be me, but that is a choice I can willingly make.

Our ferrets depend on us to properly care for them.  They can't clean their
own litterbox or refill their food and water bowls when they are empty or
let themselves out of their cages when they want to play.

Remember that the ferrets are our companions and to some, children, so
please take care of them as such.  Know your limitations and don't be shy to
ask for help from a friend or family member.  I even do that from time to
time.  ;-)

Hugs to all. tle