From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 1997 20:23:35 -0400
Hi!  You don't need to give up on the dog yet.  I brought home an almost 8
yr old rescue and though we are and will always be somewhat tense about
things it is really working pretty well considering.  Ask yourself the
question - is the dog aggressively trying to get the ferrets in the cage
like I want to get AT those things?  Or just curious and maybe wan'ts the
ferrets food?

Some things you need to realize:
(1) your going to have to do some work training the dog.  Primarily a good
"leave it".  Buy a dog training book, go to beginning obediance school (this
should be something you do anyway).  You want the dog to listen to your
commands without fail.

(2) The dog is already sniffing around the cage which is a good slow intro
(though I bet he really is after the ferret food as much as the ferrets:)
You should also try putting him in a vari kennel or crate modified so the
ferrets can't slip through and let them run around the room while he watches
and you interact with them so he knows their part of the "pack".

(3) hold the dog very firmly (I would sit right with him with your hand
under his muzzle) while you let the ferrets run around and sniff him.  Give
LOTS and LOTS of encouragement to the dog and make loving noises over the
ferrets.  Also lots of EASY EASY.  The ferrets are going to want to nibble
his feet and jump at his face - try not to let this happen (2 people will
help).  One thing I found out - if the dog snaps - even with your hand right
there it will be over before you can react.  (Swift, loud assertive NO!'s
right off the bat if this happens).  So you may want to invest in a 5.00
cloth muzzle.  You can't keep them on the dog long since they cant pant and
they have a tendency to stress out the dog.  I used one for the first couple
of times for 10 minute intro's - still holding the dog.

(4) If the dog seems like a keeper, i.e. fairly low prey and chase drive
with good bite inhibition - put a leash on the dog when you finally get to
the point where they are loose together.  Stay close.  You may want to use
the muzzle again for the first time.  The leash will allow a faster grab if
the dog starts to chase the ferrets.

(5) Do the "advanced" stage introductions in a room where there are lots of
places for the ferret to get under or hide, or create and put some in the
room temporarily.

(6) If things work out reinforce by giving treats to the ferrets first, then
the dog - reinforce that the dog is lower in the pecking order.

(7) NEVER NEVER no matter how good things get leave the dogs toys or rawhide
chews etc.  laying around.  No matter how good the dog is its really asking
too much and eventually may cause a problem.

(8) You should also try feeding the dog separate when the ferrets aren't
around (plus my ferrets love dog food and prefer it to their own TF, of
course the dog loves TF:)

All any of this does is allow you to ascertain whether the dog has a high
prey drive with some safety for the ferrets in mind.  If your dog has a low
prey drive, bite inhibition and is just playful it should be apparent and
all this may be unnecessary or go relatively fast.  The collie/shep mix
sounds hopeful, collies are usually good with other animals and generally
have a low prey drive.  (Of course shelters tend to put in collie mix on a
lot of dogs and there really aren't that many collies roaming around out
there).  GSD's are pretty smart.  If the dog does seem to have a very high
prey drive, try a different older dog.  Sometimes purebreed rescue groups
can help with this as the foster homes may know a little about the dogs
personality.

One last thing - my dog doesn't really like the ferrets but is pretty good
about trying to ignore them.  Unfortunately my one female doesn't want to
let it go - she hates the dog and stalks him and really sort of wants to run
him out of town.  This was totally unexpected by me and the only reason I
stay tense.  Booker will ignore the ferrets as long as their not biting him.
He's not going to tolerate a face bite so I have to be very viligent.

Oh, and of course the obvious - don't ever let them out at home together
alone.

Hope some of this helps,
Good luck
Mary, Boris, Giesela (when is that thing going to leave?) and Booker
(get her AWAY from me!)