From:
Michelle Matta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 14:19:43 -0400
Hi everybody - perhaps as you're reading this, you'll recognize yourself.
I've been fortunate with my ferrets so far.  No sickness, no accidents, no
surgery, not even a cold.

Until last night.  My husband accidentally stepped on Little Man.  He was
speedbumping under a rug and Kenny caught him with his heel.

It took about 5 minutes to see a reaction from Little Man.  He tried
vomitting, and spit up a little mucus/water.  He mostly gagged.  But it was
pretty violent gagging.  It lasted about 7-10 minutes and he stopped.  He
just layed on the rug.  If we tried picking him up, he just wanted down.  So
we put him down and the ran to the corner to go to the bathroom and he
pooped a puddle of blood.  We rushed him to the emergency vet immediately
and within a half an hour of the incident, he was getting xrays.

Everything looked good on the xrays - no internal bleeding.  The vet thought
it may be broken blood vessels inside the intestines because nothing was
showing up.  She wanted to keep him overnight to monitor him and to keep him
on IV fluids & antibiotics.

We've been in touch a number of times and he seems to be doing fine.  Normal
bowel movement, normal blood count, blah blah.  He's pretty antsy to get out
of the cage - he even pulled his iv out.  We pick him up tonight.

To make things worse, we got home to find Pepper ripped her nail off her
front claw.  Not completely, but enough to be painful.  She's receiving
LOTS of sympathy and frankly, I think she's milking it.

Moral of the story: It can happen to you too.  Never say never.

- Mish

Desktop Support Consultant ..................
Carnegie Mellon Computing Services ..........
[log in to unmask]  |  (412) 268-4212 ......
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/mish/home.html