From:
CHUCK PULLIAM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 13:32:19 -0700
Regarding recent post concerning dark urine, one of my ferrets had dark
urine, but no other symptoms.  In people, this would indicate a state of
dehydration, so I knew that getting him to drink more water may help.  I
purchased a heavy, clear glass, flat bottomed (so it won't spill) ashtray
and filled it with water (I ALWAYS give my fuzzies bottled water) and placed
it in the cage.  He immediately began drinking more water, as did my other
little guy.  I can't help but believe that it is more appealing to drink out
of than a water bottle (which I also keep in the cage as a "back-up" water
supply in case the container gets spilled, etc.) Fuzzies are pretty little
to expect their little kidneys to filter out all the garbage that is in
public water systems.  I rinse out the "bowl" and refill with plentiful
amounts of fresh water at least twice a day.  They both drink so much more
when it is offerred this way, I can't help but believe it is better for them
(I would not like drinking out of a water bottle!).  In the summertime, when
I refill their bowl, I use bottled water that I keep in the refrigerator and
they LOVE that!!

Also, regarding transporting ferrets via airlines, I went round and round
last year when it was necessary for me to fly from Richmond, VA home to
Arizona.  I absolutely refused to put Loki (I only had the one ferret then)
in the cargo area of the plane!!  After calling all the airlines and
checking their regulations, I learned that only two airlines permit ferrets
to be IN the passenger area; then it was limited to ONE animal per
passenger, with a maximum of TWO animals on any one flight.  I was required
to pay $160 extra (child's fare), but Loki didn't even get his own seat!!
(LOL) The two airlines were United and American.  As it turned out, he was
quite a good traveler and entertained people all along the way in terminals,
and on the plane.  My seatmate, an elderly lady, was skeptical when she
realized she was sitting next to a ferret (he only had to be caged during
take-off and landing), but before the flight over, she was commenting on how
well-behaved he was and was sharing her peanuts with him and saying how
grateful she was that she was seated next to my little fuzzy and not the
screaming (human) kids in the back of the plane!!  He sure did his best to
advance public acceptance of furrkids that day!  He was an angel and on his
best behavior the whole trip!!  After reading the horror airline stories, I
thank God that I paid that $160........even though my husband protested at
the time.  Thanks for getting the word out on these dangers!!

Jacquie Rodgers
Loki & Morgan
(and Sara the dog, who thinks she is Loki & Morgan's "mommy")