From:
CHUCK PULLIAM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 1997 13:27:57 -0700
In regards to E.  Lipinski's post entitled "abusive ferret control", where
he suggests squirting water IN THE EAR of the "abusive ferret", GET REAL ! !
WHO IS THE ABUSER HERE?  I was with you when you suggested the water bottle,
etc., but anyone who intentionally squirts a stream of water INTO the
ferret's ear, IMHO IS AN ABUSER in his own right!!!  I believe the desired
results can be obtained with the squirt bottle aimed at the offender's body,
or even the face area if the desired results are not obtained the first
time, and the verbal loud "NO!", but please don't intentionally force a
stream of water into the ear.  Think of how this would feel to YOU!!  If
that thought doesn't deter you, think of the vet bills you could incur if
the little guy gets an ear infection or damaged eardrum.

On a lighter note, someone wrote the other day that their ferret "knew his
name".  Well, I am SURE that my little guys know not only their own names,
but their brother's name also.  Loki (age 3) always comes when he is called,
as he is always eager to please.  Morgan (age 1), however, sometimes gets
too wrapped up in playing and likes to ignore me.  Maybe he has just
discovered some previously uncharted territory (closet) or is busy on a
project (sorting clothes in the hamper), etc.  Sometimes when I call both of
them, Loki will come to me immediately, then sit there and appear irritated
at Morgan not responding.  I tell Loki that he is a good boy, then continue
to call for Morgan.  After a minute or so with no response, it is not unusual
for Loki to take off, search out Morgan, then return to me carrying a limp,
duly-chastised Morgan by the scruff of the neck.  Of course, Loki then gets
a treat for being such a responsible "big brother".  This doesn't happen
every time, but has happened more than once, and it always cracks me up!

To the people who decided to wait to adopt a ferret because of health
problems they have read about in the FML: I hear a lot about "problem"
(human) kids these days too, but I am sure glad I had a child anyway!!  He
was/is the best thing that ever happened in my life.  Since he is grown, my
ferret "kids" are my life.  They, like my son, give back so much love and
joy that I couldn't imagine life without them.  I would submit to you that
the way in which ferret "kids" are most like human kids is that what you
receive back from them (love, joy, obedience, etc.) is directly
proportionate to what you put into raising them (quality time, affection,
appropriate discipline, etc.) At least, this has been my experience.  IMO if
people don't have time and love to invest, NOT adopting is surely the best
idea to ensure a peaceful (and boring) existence.

Sorry this was so long. Hope I didn't step on any toes.

Jacquie Rodgers
Loki & Morgan