From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 17:12:06 -0400
>I was lucky but if your refrigerator (or any other appliance) isn't well
>ferretproofed, or even if you think it is, you should make sure your ferrets
>can't get under it; you may not be as lucky as Virgule and I were...
>Sophie, Virgule, Globule and Virus.

My sympathies for your wayward ferret...

Your post brings a very good point and a caveat to ANY ferret-proofing.
First the point: Any ferret proofing must be done correctly and soundly.  If
you can pull in off, so can your ferret!  On top of that, your ferret can
chew or claw through many different materials you cannot or would not.

In refrigerator or appliance proofing, the wire used should be heavy gauge
non-galvanized, 1/2 to 1" square wire cloth.  Remember though, if there is
enough space, the ferret can just bend it out of the way.  This extra space
will require the weaving through of 1/4 in aluminum rod along the bottom of
the wire cloth.  Again the cloth should be wrapped around any exposed sides
also.  This installation allows plenty of air circulation, and contrary to
what some may "elude" to, does not create any hazards (just make sure you
vacuum under your refrigerator occasionally as you should anyway), and is a
formidable ferret guard when correctly applied.  I strongly suggest you gain
the aid of someone with at least a "working knowledge" of home construction
and repair and to perform such modifications without compromise.  FORGET
glues and tapes!  Even the best glues and tapes degrade over time and
conditions.  If it cannot be securely fastened by rivets, screws, nails, or
carpentry staples, don't do it!  If the substrate is too thin, use a backing
piece of suitable material.  Also, periodically inspect your work.  All the
items mentioned above are generally available at any Home Depot.

Second, the caveat regarding ANY ferret proofing: What works for most
ferrets may NOT work for ALL ferrets.  Some ferrets, especially those rare
bionically powered or obsessed ferrets will compromise most any
ferret-proofing *over time*.  Ferrets have been reported to chew and claw
through particle board, hollow core doors, and the entire substructure of
your average couch!  *Especially* if your ferret gained access once, it will
be more determined than ever to do it again.  ANY ferret proofing should be
followed by extended supervision; only when your ferret has shown continued
DISINTEREST, should you begin to have faith in your efforts.

Finally, sometimes it seems like no matter what you do, accidents happen.  I
suppose ferrets would be safer if we kept them in their cages 24-7; as MANY
parents would like to wrap their kids in a protective bubble.  Unfortunately
that would not mean much of a life for the ferrets OR the kids.  However,
many of us are biologically compelled to procreate, and not to have ferrets
for pets.  Admittedly, in circumspect, I sometimes wonder how safe the
combination of ferret/human interaction; whether or not they would be better
off without our curious and captivated gestures of care and companionship.
One of the many special requirements of ferret ownership is the quality to
accept defeat and loss.  A loss so deeply felt, it is like no other I know.
We can only give forth our best efforts, meaning actively acquiring and
applying knowledge, hope for the best, and accept the possibility of defeat
and demise.

best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi