From:
CHUCK PULLIAM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 18:27:26 -0700
Someone was asking about "tricks" ferrets can be taught to do.  Well, here's
one my two (Lokey and Morgan) have been entertaining my friends with for
some time now.

Since Lokey often wakes up during the night coughing, I purchased a
combination music box/night light (which is made to attach to a baby's crib)
that is sound-activated.  When he coughs at night, the light comes on and
lullabye plays to soothe him until I can get awake enough and pick him up.
He and Morgan REALLY like the Brahm's Lullabye.  I would always turn it on
as I kissed them goodnight and tucked them in bed at night.  It plays
through the song about 5 times before it automatically turns off.  Well,
after doing this routinely for a few weeks, I noticed that when I was ready
for them to go to bed all I had to do was activate the music box and their
little ears would perk up and they would obediently trot to their cage to be
kissed and tucked in bed.  I then reinforced this behavior by giving them
their daily dose of Pet Tinnic (vitamin drops), which they LOVE, as they
arrive at their cage, kiss them goodnight and gently place them in their
hammock and tell them what good boys mommy has!  It is hysterical to see
them, whether they are playing, snuggling, or off somewhere in another room,
stop whatever they are doing, perk their ears up, and head for their treat,
kisses goodnight and comfy beds.

Also, someone was asking about how much time people spend with their
ferrets.  I am disabled and home all day, so it's probably not average....I
spend about two hours with them in the morning (as I dress, have coffee and
play with them), then they sleep in their cage until after dinner, when I
again let them out for playtime (another 2 hours approx.) and maybe a walk
around the block or in the park if weather permits.  Also, I try to spend
"alone time" with each of them several times a week (take only ONE with me
to run errands, shopping, etc.) This works well for me, but I'm sure I
couldn't keep it up if I had human kids at home or if I had a job that I had
to go to everyday.

I believe, the same as with children, quality time spent with furrkids is
rewarding because the more time I spend with them, the sweeter and more
well-behaved and loving they become.  They give back SO MUCH more than I
could ever give to them.  I don't know what I did with all my time before
these babies came into my life, but I know life must have been boring......

Jacquie Rodgers
Morgan & Lokey