From:
Chris Heath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 10:22:48 -0400
I have a female ferret, just turning 1 year old, who is deaf.  Her name is
Thisbe (Thiz-bee).  Anyhow, about 2 weeks ago, she started doing something
very strange.  She would be sleeping peacefully, then suddenly jump up and
run several feet!  It doesn't seem to matter where she's sleeping or if
she's by herself or with us or other ferrets.  She doesn't appear to be
distressed at all, but sometimes, she scratches herself when she stops
running.  She has clear skin and fur, and I've checked for fleas without
finding anything, so I don't think she's just itchy.  Besides she doesn't
scratch every time.

Could it be nightmares?  She doesn't cry out or get puffy tail or anything.
I just want to know she's okay.  She's such a sweet baby.

She also chews on the side of the dish while she eats.  I think that may be
due to the deafness and the "noises" in her head while she crunches.  Any
ideas on that?  She's been doing that since she was a tiny kit.

I'll be grateful for any input you may have for me.  Thanks all.

No more Kodos!

Chris Heath
San Antonio, Texas