From:
Karen Daigneault <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 23:41:12 -0700
Fidgit needs help....

I posted the other day about a little fuzzchild in PA that's in need of
surgery due to insulinoma.  I said I'd write with more information, so here
it is..

Fidgit is a ferret that at one time was at Kymberlie's shelter.  He was
almost a Kodo.  The first time she adopted him out, it was to a woman and
her children.  She adopted Fidgie and Rana, another ferret she had in the
shelter.  They needed their vaccinations, and she couldn't get the
appointment for them the day of the adoption.  So she went ahead, made the
appointment for the vaccinations the next day, and allowed the excited new
ferret owners to take Fidgit home with them that night.  (Fidgit hadn't
established himself as a big biter at that point...) That night, Fidgit bit
this woman's daughter and drew blood.  She called and told Kymberlie that
she was going to call animal control.  Kymberlie begged her not to, and told
her that the incidence of rabies was almost nil in ferrets.  But she told
Kym that as much as it hurt her to kill the ferret, if the choice was
between Fidgit and her daughter, she had to choose her daughter.  When
Kymberlie could no longer convince her, she put her in touch with Dr.
Freddie Hoffman of the AFA.  She is a Pediatrician and was able to convince
this woman from the point of view of a doctor, a mom, and a ferret owner
that she indeed would not kill the ferret, even if it had been *her*
daughter bitten.  Fortunately, that worked.  Fidgit would have surely been
killed, he came to her shelter because he was found wandering around
outdoors, near some woods, and she had no idea of where he came from.

Fidgit was adopted out by Kymberlie to a wonderful family.  They take very
good care of him, - all his shots are up to date, and the couple absolutely
adores him.  Fidgit has never bit either one of them, and Kymberlie believes
that he himself chose the owners he wanted to go to.  Unfortunately, at this
time, the owners are experiencing great financial difficulty, and they
simply cannot afford the surgery.  He does have insulinoma, and has had one
mild seizure so far.  He's on Pred right now, and has begun to refuse to eat
from time to time.

Kymberlie has asked that anyone wishing to donate to Fidgit's surgery to
please include their snail and e-mail addresses in case she gets more money
than she needs, she will know where to send it back to.  If you do NOT want
excess money sent back, please specifically state that you want it to go to
the PFRA (Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association) Medical Fund, which is
solely used for the medical needs of shelter ferrets.  If you don't include
that statement, excess dollars will be returned as she will assume that you
are sending the money just for Fidgit's case.  The address for donations is
P.O. Box 45, Gilbertsville, PA 19525.

The Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue is completely out of funds for medical
assistance and this is why we are asking for donations.  Not for the
shelter, but for Fidgit.  If you have any questions or concerns, please feel
free to email me direct, or Kymberlie ([log in to unmask]).  I have the
owner's names and number, and any info anyone may need.  Fidgits owner's
have just found out today what Kymberlie and I are trying to accomplish.
Altho, they NEVER asked, or had any inclination, finding out that they *may*
be able to get Fidget the operation he needs brought tears to his mommy's
eyes.

He beat the odds once already...lets help him again!

Thanks,

Karen and her wonderful fuzzies...