From:
Carolyn McColl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 12:28:00 -0400
Do any breeders have any experience with hydrocephalus (water on the brain a
congenital defect).  Last week while at a local pet store I bonded with an 8
week old male kit that had a malformed and malaligned jaw and protruding
forehead (dome shaped cranium).  I spent a bit of time looking through
medical references and thought this was probably caused by a type of
encephalitis so I took him to the vet who diagnosed him with a congenital
defect, probably hydrocephalus, (would require an MRI for a definate
diagnosis) and was not fit for sale.  I notified the pet store which
refunded my money and had their vet check him, who confirmed the diagnosis.
When I took him back to the store to have their vet check him I indicated
that I wanted the ferret back but they do not want to return him to me.
This ferret should never have been sold in the first place because this
defect should have been picked up by the breeder, the vet who
neutered/descented and vaccinated him or the staff at the pet store.  Sorry,
I am venting my anger, it is just that I am very concerned about him and
feel that he would be much better off with me.

I would like to know what the treatment for hydrocephalus is in ferrets is
and what the typical life expectancy is.  The typical treatment in humans is
a shunt to remove the excess fluid in the brain and they can live a normal
life but I don't know if this has ever been done on a ferret.  The ferret
already has minor nerological damage but is in no pain, if he was he would
have been euthanized by my vet.

Carolyn and her fuzzbutts
Ceres, Nahanni, Pandora, Ate', Gentian, Bijoux, Ursus, Annarche, Ravyn,
Banshee and Dexter my sick little boy
And Parker the bunny