From:
Chris & Shelley Knudsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 19:06:52 -0700
Hello!

I have a question for anyone out there who is experienced with adrenal
tumors, especially advanced ones.  I have a 5yr old male ferret who was just
turned into the shelter with an adrenal tumor.  (After living with them his
whole life.  Amazing how people will abandon older animals, they have to
know they have a very small chance of ever getting adopted out, especially
when they are not in perfect health.) However, he first started losing hair
a year and a half ago!  He went completely bald, and then started growing
his hair back.  The vet that this family went to said she ruled out adrenal
disease with a blood test, however, according to the family that turned him
in, she said she did the blood test herself, it was not sent to the
University of Tennessee adrenal panel.  They also said she was fresh out of
vet school.  This same vet also told them that this ferret was a girl.  He
is unquestionably a boy.  Judging from his dry skin, partial hair loss, and
very low energy level, I am 99% sure he does have an adrenal tumor, and very
advanced at that.  According to my vet, since he has had the tumor for so
long, it has probably spread to both adrenals.

My question is, is surgery a viable option for him?  The last time I had a
ferret come in with advanced adrenal disease, he died on the operating table
just from the anesthetic.  He was just too weak.  This time, I am going to
have a more experienced ferret vet do the surgery, however, even she is not
completely comfortable with right sided adrenal tumors, although she is
willing to try.  My vet said that he can have the left adrenal completely
removed, and part of the right, and hopefully still be okay if he makes it
through the surgery.

Would Lysodren or something similar be better for him?  I was planning to
put him on Lysodren or another drug (I can't remember the name) that has
fewer side effects just to maybe strengthen him up for surgery.  Or would it
be better to just keep him Lysodren for the rest of his life, providing it
is effective.  I know Lysodren only works in about 50% of ferrets, but I
have also heard that in the ferrets it does work in, it is almost completely
effective.  I don't know if makes any difference in how advanced the tumor
is though.  I would really appreciate any and all advice you could give me
on this matter.  Jake is a very sweet little guy, and very much attached to
human interaction.  He follows me all over, but just doesn't seem to have
the energy to play.  I would like to be able to help him if at all possible.

Thank you.

Dooks and kisses to your fuzzies,
Shelley Knudsen
Legion of Superferrets of Nebraska Ferret Shelter
402-463-0190

P.S. My vet's name is Dr. Polly Lewis at the Hastings Animal Clinic if
anyone would like to contact her directly.  The number is 402-463-9805 or
800-742-2697.