Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 23:52:03 -0400
We just learned today that Ben probably has diabetes.  When I took her for
her regular oncology appointment, I brought a urine sample to be tested
because she seemed to be drinking and urinating excessively.  The urine
tested positive for glucose, and the blood glucose was sky high.  Dr. Fulton
wants to see if the condition can be controlled without insulin.  Our
instructions are to reduce the prednisone to every other day and test Ben's
urine using glucose and ketone reagent strips.  Dr. Fulton wants to be
called immediately if the urine ever tests positive for ketones; at that
point we'll have to consider putting her on insulin.

Now for my question: How can we modify Ben's "duck soup" to reduce the sugar
content?  We've been feeding her a mixture of Sustacal, turkey baby food,
banana yogurt baby food, and ground 8-in-1 food.  Ben has become a very
picky eater and is accustomed to this combination.  Sustacal is as sweet as
a dessert!  Is there an unsweetened Sustacal available?  Also, we've been
feeding Ben three times a day.  Should we feed her smaller, more frequent
meals?

If anyone has any experience with home care for a diabetic ferret, I would
really appreciate hearing from you!

Clare Sebok