From:
Mustang Charlie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 1997 03:43:36 -0700
A response, soirt of, to Matthew and the KozyKingdom bunch chat...

The use of ICQ is a timebbomb waiting to happen.  I would NOT recommend its
use.  The manner in which it installs into Win 95 allows external access to
your hard drive...that translates into major probomes should someone decide
to wreak havoc with your system.

After looking at the code and how it is integrated into Wion 95, I have
taken it off both my computers and have forbidden its use by my family.

I have also convinced a very good friend not to use it as well..simply by
changing his autoexec.bat via ICQ...When he saw how easily I did it, he had
ICQ off immediately.

I sent a missive to the authors of ICQ and told them about the inadvertant
(Was it??!) backdoor, but they never responded to me.  Oh well!  Caveat
emptor

BTW..there is also a pretty nasty 'backdoor' to mIRC as well..called Nuke.
There ~~is~~ a fix out for that.

Joe

[Moderator's note: I let this through, though obviously not ferret related,
since a suggestion was made on the FML to use ICQ.  Please direct any
followups to Joe.  Thanks.  BIG]