From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 10:47:08 -0400
So Mortimer wins the cuteness prize this week.  Nala (the new dog) was
sleeping contentedly, so I thought it would be a good time for her to have a
low-key interaction with a ferret.  I grabbed the first one I could untangle
and bought him into our bedroom where the dog had staked out the bed.  I sat
down at Nala's head with him.  She was so zonked, she ignored me and the
ferret and snuggled her head down on my leg.

So I let Mortimer sniff her head, which is quite a job, since Nala's head is
bigger than Mortimer's whole body.  Then he did the CUTEST thing.  He found
the base of Nala's ear and very tenderly began to groom her, just like she
was some new kit I had dropped in the cage.  I almost had a full blown
cuteness attack.

Okay, the cuteness impaired may begin reading.  Another thing I've been
experimenting with is putting perfume on the fuzzies.  Someone on a dog list
suggested perfume for a puppy who was getting beat up by older dogs, saying,
"Sometimes scent is status." So I grabbed my favorite perfume, and my only
perfume, Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden.  Now, I must say, Sunflowers smells
WONDERFUL on ferrets.  The natural musky ferret scent blends with the
perfume scent into something new and absolutely ambrosiaic.  It lasts for
days and days, too.  (And not surprising, since mink oil is a perfume
stabilizer.)

Well, anyway, I spritzed the sleeping ferret pile with it, and I put some on
myself and let the dog take in the situation.  The expression on her face
was truly hilarious.  She gave me this look of, "Why did you put perfume on
those weasels?" and just walked away.  Bahaha!

Oh, one other thing.  Our dog is a ferret sh*t gourmand.  I suspected, but
did not have any evidence until recently.  Yech.  I guess dogs eat cat and
ferret poopoo because cats and ferrets leave some food value that dogs' more
efficient digestive system can get out of it.  The thing I don't get is why
she helps herself to the litterbox when she is free-fed 24/7 with a full
bowl of expensive dog food!  Arrgh!

I found one way to photograph ferrets.  I put ferretone on stuff.  I tried
posing them next to my sewing machine that way, as if they were sewing.  It
would have been a cute picture, the three of them licking my sewing machine
and vying for places at the licking spot, if I had not used shots 30-35 of a
24 exposure roll for it.  *sigh* I did get some good pictures of the dog
playing soccer, though. :)

Catherine and
Sebastian "What is that dog doing at the litterbox?  Oh, my god, I'm gonna
           puke!" and
Mortimer "The new kit is awfully big, but cute." and
Mithril "So how do you get the mink oil OUT of the mink?"