From:
Alpha Chi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 11:46:51 -0500
As far as I know, there has been no formal controlled study of MF ferrets as
opposed to other's life spans and I doubt there ever will be unless some
philanthropic source becomes available.  Even if we went into the field and
just massaged numbers, there are so many variables I doubt the results would
be convincing.  So like many other things in life, we can only go by the
anecdotal observations and experiences of professionals.  Anyone is
certainly welcome to consider this "banter" although I am sure many would
find this pejorative term offensive and inappropriate.

The vets that I have been in touch with seem to believe MF ferrets have a
shorter life span.  I would imagine that they take into account the sheer
numbers of MF ferrets they see as opposed to others in making this
statement.  However, as you can imagine, this certainly leaves room for
debate as personal experiences can differ.  Some here are compelled to
defend MF as if it were a family friend or relative.  It is neither, it is a
business.  Some say they find that you "attract more flies with honey than
vinegar".  Perhaps this works with people, but in business I have never
witnessed this transaction, has anyone?  [except for the proverbial "mom and
pop" concerns] Historically, we observe businesses change only when it is in
their self interest, or at legal or public gunpoint, not out of kindness,
guilt, or contemplation.  To change out of kindness or consideration or
"feeling" bad is a human trait, not a corporate one.  Some people seem to
get that confused which certainly pleases corporations as this is to their
benefit.

"Family Wellness" and other "Family" synonyms and themes, along with the
other hyperbole that pushes towards this goal.  It helps encourage company
loyalty, output, etc., including, apparently, the concept that a company has
human traits.  Of course, not too many families disown you when they stop
turning a profit or find a better son, daughter, sister, and so on.
Although I feel the staunch allies and defenders of MF have their hearts in
the right place, IMHO, they are woefully misguided.  Please do not misread
this as anti-business, far from it, business has its place.  I only suggest
we keep the lines of demarkation between corporate and human traits clear in
our minds.  Reality is a harsh teacher and history an inflexible reminder.

until next time,
best wishes,
alphachi