From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 10:59:06 -0400
>From:    Shellie Sorensen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: newbie to this place
>question: what is the highest temperature a ferret should be exposed to?

Ferrets don't handle high temperatures very well, but I don't think anyone
can pinpoint a specific temperature which you should not go above.  They
could very well be in distress when it's only 75 or 80 but they're in the
sun and there's no air movement or they could do ok when it's 90 under
different conditions..  at least from my experience based on the
following...

We had our first ferret, Sidney, when hurricane Andrew whacked us in '92.
We were without power and had no ice for 3 or 4 days.  It was August, hot
and humid (low 90's).  Man, was it miserable.  Sid did just fine during this
time with no signs of distress, panting, or anything like that.  That's not
to say that I would purposely expose one of my guys to those conditions and
I wouldn't take them out in the sun here in Miami.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke - [log in to unmask]
* Member, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
*
* Shelter Home Page - http://www.bridge.net/~mjanke
*
* Opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily
* those of the South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue