From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 09:48:21 -0400
>From a Tori Amos song:

These precious things..let them dook...let them dance away...

(okay, so I cheated a little)

Does anyone else ever get tired of "educating" people about furballs?
Here is an example of what I go through becuase of my bozos.

Coworker:  You have ferrets?
Me:  Yes, three.
Coworker:  What are they like?
Me:  Oh, about as intelligent and loving as a cat or dog. [I usually start
     out with this assertion as I have found it bears repeating--see below]
Coworker:  Wow.  Is it a lot of trouble to clean up after them?
Me:  Well, we just have to clean the litterboxes.
Coworker:  That's amazing!  They use a litterbox?
Me:  Yes, they are about as intelligent as a cat or a dog.  [And actually
     it only takes about the intelligence of a vole for a natural latrine
     animal like a ferret or a rabbit or a guinea pig or a RAT to use a box.]
Coworker:  Oh, that's cool.  Do they do tricks?
Me:  Mine roll over on comand.  They also tend to make up their own
     tricks, solve problems, and remember some fairly comlex things.
Coworker:   I can't believe it!
Me:  They are about as intelligent as a cat or a dog.
Coworker:  Tell me, do they know who you are?
Me:  Remember cats and dogs?  *bonk throttle*

I have collected some interesting comments over the years: Is it a
wolverine?  What in God's name is that?  If you start a family you'll have
to get rid of them because they kill babies.  How disgusting, etc.

It's no wonder that people post their obituaries here.  When my darlings
pass away, I expect about the same sympathy from the general public as you'd
receive for breaking a nail.

BTW, I loved Mo' Bob's recent artical review.

-Catherine and
Sebastian "Can someone hold my tail still so I can smell it?"
and Mortimer "Can we use a litterbox?  We'll show him!"
and Mithril "The Antipet!"