From:
Scott Beisner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:14:56 -0800
>On my way to work this morning, I tuned in to KITS (Live 105) and the Alex
>Bennet Program.  Since several of us wrote letters of complaint regarding
>the CFL/Ferret incident, I've been waiting for something to happen.  As far
>as I know, neither Roland West (programming) nor Alex Bennett has responded.

Something happened alright!  Irinia, you didn't hear the whole show.  Alex
actually read an email on the air from somebody out-of-state.  He said the
person was from Philadelphia, but the content of the message sounded similar
to the person who posted anonymously as [TM] from the FML Issue number: 1850
(Feb 21).

This whole thing started with me.  I am the one who called the radio show.
I had heard an obscure (and disgusting) ferret reference made by a guest
comedian.  He mentioned that something resembled the shape of a ferret.  The
co-host, Lori Thompson, asked, "Aren't ferrets illegal in California?"  The
topic passed and they went on to other issues.  I decided this was a good
opportunity to fax them a CFL "Wanted" poster.  I tried to find their fax
number, but it wasn't listed on their web page.  So I called their "request"
line and figured I would reach a producer whom I could ask for the number.
It rang, and rang.  When it was answered, I heard Alex's voice, "You're live
on Live 105."  I realized I was on the air.

I just started blurting out how there was a bill in the state legislature
and how it was time to get involved.  I mentioned the SF Ferrets Anonymous
chapter meeting and blurted out Jeanne's email address.  All three people on
the show just fired comments at me, which I only heard half of.  I figured I
only had a few more seconds, so I ignored them and put out what I could.

I knew Alex would make jokes about ferrets, but I didn't expect the chicken
killer comment.  I let it all pass, figuring I got enough info out to ferret
enthusiasts.  Since it hit the FML, I guess I was successful.

But when Alex started reading your emails, he let loose.  He asked, "Who
would love a ferret?"  "You have to be sick to own a ferret." He again
mentioned the reason they are illegal is because they kill chickens.
Because of the emails he received, he now thinks ferret people are more
dangerous then ferrets themselves.  He went on to say how there other more
important issues in the world to be fighting for and sees the ferret issue
as a waste of time and money.  The whole show was pretty damaging and
embarrassing.

Alex is very stubborn.  He is a lot like Fish & Game.  Your messages will do
very little to change his mind.  The only thing it will do is irritate him.
Unfortunately, he has the power of the microphone.  He is paid to be funny,
not accurate.  This radio station is not worth the squeeze.  We need to
hound other people who will have a sensible exchange with us.  Alex is a
dead-end and will only continue to hurt the issue.

So I ask that you guys call it off.  I appreciate you sticking up for me,
but I didn't expect less from Alex.  He makes lots of uninformed comments
and will continue to do so if we remain in his face.  We need you to focus
your efforts toward bringing this issue in front of the legislators.  We
need you to get more Californians involved.  With very little effort on my
part, I got two Assembly Members and a State Senator to not only support the
bill (AB 363), but they are co-authoring (Leach, Torlakson, Rainey).

Please visit the CFL web page and help us convince the right people that we
are not a bunch of "sick" people and that this issue IS very important.
~        Scott Beisner, Weasel Web Publisher       ~
~   [log in to unmask] <<or>> [log in to unmask]    ~
~          You can find the Weasel Web at          ~
~  http://www.ccnet.com/~beisners/gsfs/weasel.html ~
~     Home of: the Golden State Ferret Society     ~
~        Californians For Ferret Legalization      ~
~           The Weasel Web Ferret Clinic           ~