From:
Pam Franklin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 23:02:47 -0800
I know I may get flamed for this but I just have to get this off my chest.

I have been greatly looking forward to attending my first ferret show (the
first one to come to Washington in a long time if ever) and getting to
possibly meet other FML'ers.  Now I won't be attending and this is why:

I have heard from quite a few sources that there is a possibility that some
out of state ferrets that will be at this show have been exposed to ECE and
that no announcement of this is being made to warn people.  Now I don't know
for a fact whether this is true or not but I feel it is an important enough
issue to address here on the FML.

We have not had any outbreaks of ECE yet out here that I know of (and I've
checked with my vet but please correct me if I'm wrong) so awareness of this
disease/virus is not very high.  After a great deal of thinking and risk
measuring I have decided not to go.  It is my understanding that by even
attending (without bringing my ferrets) I could possibly expose my fur
babies.  I know without a doubt that if Chubba Wubba was exposed to this now
he would die as well might Oreo and Big Foot (who has insulinoma).  After
all I've been through lately with Chubbs (and Oreo) there is no way I will
take this chance.  My vet has told me under no circumstances should I take
my ferrets to this show (and she didn't hear about this situtation first
from me).

I am VERY angry about this.  If I had not heard about this AND it turns out
to be true about the ECE, my ferrets could have died!  How many other ferret
owners will not get the news in time?  This may be harsh to say but if you
know or even suspect that you have ECE and you don't tell people, you are no
worse than the ferret mill breeders and abuser that we read about on the
FML.  Your concern should only be for the wellfare of ferrets and not about
the rewards of selling or showing your ferrets.  By not telling people think
of how many other ferrets might contract ECE from you and suffer and even
die.  My main concern now is of the possibility of having ECE being a
problem here in Washington after the show.  How do you take precautions
against it if you don't know where your ferrets may get exposed?

I'm sorry if this post is offensive to anyone and it is not meant to single
anyone out.  I am wondering if there is any policy regarding the shows where
participating ferrets (and even visitors) have to show whether or not
they've been exposed?  Would it not be a good idea for exhibiting ferrets to
have documentation from their vets or is there no way to keep organized
ferret gathering ECE free?

Well, I'm sure I've opened a flamming door.  Please don't be too hard on me,
I only want to keep as many ferrets healthy as possible.

Pam Franklin and her 4 fur babies
P.S. Chubba Wubba is doing good but still on antibiotics for another month.