From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 10:09:12 -0500
[Moderator's note: These first few posts are just a sampling from the flood
of positive mail I received about Ferret Wise, both on and off the FML.  I
think the point has been made... there's no need to post more about this
please :-)   BIG]

As the shelter Mom at Ferret Wise what I would like to inform the writer of
the post who questioned the point that FERRET WISE SHELTER was seeking
donations for assistance in the help of Gabriel and then I, as the shelter
Mom was travelling to Florida for a presentation please let me clarify some
things to you and other readers.

Ferret Wise Shelter is a non-profit, licensed and tax exempt corporation,
just as your local SPCA and Humane Societies.  I serve as a VOLUNTEER for
the shelter and receive NO WAGES or compensation for the 7 - 24 hour days
each week.  The shelter books and reports are forwarded to the states atty
generals office and anyone who would like to know what is donated,and earned
through fundraising etc ., as well as how the money was spent can access the
public records.

What you should realize is that we ( my hisband and mmyself)have allowed
Ferret Wise Shelter(a stand alone shelter facility) to remain rent free in
our building.  Another sacrifice which we feel is for the ferrets, not for
the skeptics.  The utilities, laundry servie, rubbish removal and
housekeeping are very much donated as well.

Now that you have been enlightened that much let me inform you that Ferret
Wise Shelter perfomed over 12 surgeries on ferrets last year 6 adrenal
surgeries, 2 spleen removals, 3 spay / neuters and an cystic kidney removal.
We also rehabilitated 2 ferrets with severe muscle atrophy from being caged
extensively -- now they can walk.  All this in addition to vaccinations of
canine distemper and rabies for 67 ferrets.  So when we get a "special kid"
that needs more than we can afford, yes we accept and allow donations, we
are priviledged to be able to let folks know that their contributons are
also tax deductible.  And until we get the same kind of support from animal
lovers that the humane societies do-- TO REMAIN A NO KILL SHELTER and
provide extra medical care Ferret Wise will need help.

We are a quality shelter thanks to our "family" of ferret owners and those
who believe in what we do.  You may not contribute if you like not... we
don't mind.

The trip to HSUS is a personal sacrifice which my husband elected to make.
He has been working overtime for the past 4 months to see that I get there
for the sake of the ferrets.  That should be no ones concern but his-- and I
shouldn't have to explain it.  I will not be taking in the sites and
returning promptly after my work is done.

We give up a lot of luxuries that most folks take for granted... going to
the movies, occasional snack foods, dining out-- and feel we do well by
helping the ferret.  This is our choice..  so please, it's ok to question,
but before you condemn and raise contempt for the shelter folks know that
our purpose is not for self gratification, nor for profit..  rather, it is
to educate and inform and make lives better for these ferrets who come to
the shelters needing the resources.

I hope you can understand more fully that the shelter resources and any
donated time on my belhalf as a spokesperson are two very separate issues.
I have also donated my time to address audiences in the state and local
humane communities and recieved no compensations, not even for travel.

Thanks for listening.]
Alicia
a volunteer shelter Mom with paramount goals for the ferret.