From:
Tryntje Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:58:45 -0500
Hello again.

I first want to say a big thank you to all that have responded to my
concerning Snoopy's death.  Like I said, you are all amazing.  Bless you
all.

I just wanted to comment on something that Meg wrote about in the last FML
issue concerning the males that snag themselves on wire cages are likely to
be whole males.  I had mentioned this one other time long ago but is perhaps
worth mentioning again since this is the line of discussion.  We have had 2
males that have gotten snagged on wire cages and both were neutered males.
The first one was standing up the inside of his cage looking at us and he
slipped.  His penis caught on who knows what (we went over that cage with a
fine toothed comb and found absolutely nothing that he could get caught on)
and he ended up on his back, screeming.  When we looked, there was blood
everywhere and a string of skin dangling from his penis.  We flew to the
emergency clinic.  He had caught part of the lining and it ripped out in a
string, causing of course intense pain.  Luckily it healed up well and
everything was normal after a short while.  We were amazed at how quickly
things healed.

The second one was climbing up the outside of his cage.  I heard this blood
curdling screem, went over and found him caught.  No-one was there to help
me and I sure couldn't get him loose.  I just held him in place and after
about 10 minutes he got loose, somehow.  I didn't know what to do.  He was
getting so squirmy too because it is boring just hanging there.  What can
you do when they get caught and won't let go?

Since then we swore never to use a wire cage again.  We use them only in
case of emergencies and if we do, they are up on a table so that they cannot
climb on them.  We use the large plastic kennel cab type carriers, rigged
with litter pan (screwed to the wall so that they cannot move it), and soft
towels for blankets, and the food and water dish attached to the door.  They
use these only at night.  In the daytime they have their own rooms to romp
around in.

Take care.

Tryntje Miller                   Net:[log in to unmask]
Conrad Grebel College Library    Tel: (519) 885-0220 ext. 239
Waterloo, Ontario                Fax: (519) 885-0014
N2L 3G6