From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 13:08:06 -0600
In an effort to help others notice symptoms early I am posting Mugsy's
symptoms.  Mugsy was diagnosed with Thymic Lymphoma.  The thymus gland
functions in the development of the body's immune system, located in the
upper anterior chest, and is present in young ferrets.

Symptoms - Lethargy, Fever, Rapid Respiration, Airy Cough and Hind End
Weakness

Test Results
 Fecal - Normal
 Blood test - Extremely high Lymphocyte count
 X-Rays - Fluid in the chest cavity

Nov 1, 1996 - Mugsy seemed less active, more tired, still eating, and
stools normal

Nov 4, 1996 - Mugsy had a temp of 104 and would close his eyes and go limp
when we held him.  Respiration was faster than normal but not alarmingly
so.  We rushed him to the vet and he was given Dipyrone to take his fever
down.  After the fever broke Mugsy was very active and respiration slowed
some.  The rapid respiration was attributed to the high fever and Mugsy was
put on Amoxi.  Mugsy remained stable for the week.  Blood test results: WBC
8500, normal differential, some toxic changes in neutrophils.  Mugsy also
exhibited tenderness in the anterior abdomen.

Nov 5-10, 1996 - Mugsy was lethargic.  He would wander out occasionally to
check on us.  We syringe fed him twice a day and he ate the recipe well.
He also drank Restore Plus on his own.  Stools were small with some mucous.

Nov 10, 1996 pm - Mugsy's respiration increases.

Nov 11, 1996 - Mugsy goes back to the vet.  The vet runs stool and blood
tests.  Blood test shows very few normal WBC, there are many mature useless
and immature neutrophils.  Where are all the "normal" cells????  We switch
him to Keflex.

Nov 14, 1996 - Mugsy still has rapid respiration - back to the vet.  X-rays
are taken.  Fluid is seen surrounding his lungs and 20cc's of fluid is
pulled out.  Mugsy is tired but breathing easily.  The fluid shows almost
100% lymphocytes.  Mugsy is given a Prednisolone shot.  Later that evening
Mugsy seems to be doing better.  Breathing is normal but he is still
lethargic.

Nov 15, 1996 - We start Mugsy on Dr. Brown's homeopathic treatment for
lymphosarcoma and 6.7mg PediaPred daily.  That evening Mugsy goes back to
the vet for another check up and x-rays.  X-rays show very little fluid
surrounding the lungs, not enough to drain.  Mugsy is active all the way to
the vet and Larry is amazed at how good he looks and acts.  Later that
evening Mugsy has an occasional airy cough.

Nov 16, 1996 - Mugsy seems stable but tired.  Still an occasional airy
cough.  I talk with Larry and we double his PediaPred.

Nov 17, 1996 early morning - Mugsy's respiration increases quickly.  He
becomes restless.  He uses the litter box then when he tries to walk his
back end won't work.  I tried to administer fluids and he refused.  I called
Nancy and held Mugsy as he slipped away at 1:30 a.m.....

Hugs to all. tle