From:
Christine Code <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 06:24:18 -0800
Melissa A. Durfee <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I've heard that there are various tricks you can teach your ferret if you
>are patient and know what kinds of treats they like.... The little guys
>have so much energy, I figure I can find SOMETHING constructive for them to
>do =)

My ferrets dive for raisins, roll over for cheerios, and steal socks for
free. :-)

For raisin-diving, I began with my hand on top of the water, and a raisin in
my palm.  Next I did the same thing, but lowered my hand a tiny bit just so
that the raisin was wet.  Next the raisin was just a tiny bit under the
water... and so forth, until finally my hand was under about five inches of
water, and fuzzy was still determined to get that treat.  (We have an
extra-big water dish because Gussy likes to swim in it sometimes.)

Now I can drop a couple of raisins into the water and watch three of my
ferrets go raisin diving all at once.  It's wonderful fun.  (In order to
keep the sugar consumption low, we cut each raisin into quarters.  Four
times the fun!)

Modern Ferret Magazine published an article a while back which described how
to teach ferrets to roll over for cheerios.  Anybody remember what issue
that was?  #2?  You might want to take a look at that.  Further info about
the magazine, including how to get back issues, is available at
http://www.modernferret.com.

When teaching your ferrets to do tricks, the important thing is to break the
skill down into tiny little parts, and offer rewards when the ferret's
behaviour approaches what you want.

Have fun!

cmc