From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 16:51:27 -0500
I hope I'm not repeating myself - I got an error on my last try.

(1) While talking to my vet we discussed that books are often out of date by
the time they are printed (we were discussing Fox's book).  I had thought
vets got the latest in vet journals but he said not - JAVA etc.  often have
research type articles for obscure animals and diseases that dont
immediately relate to practice.  He said the only time they get current is
IF they go to a seminar or get info with a new drug etc.  I found this a
little disturbing.  I asked him about VIN but he hadn't heard of it - he had
heard of something called NOAH.  Does anybody know anything about VIN or
NOAH?  Are they for vets only?  How much do they cost and how do you "sign
up"?

Vets and everyone: Took my two in for barium x-rays today.  I have had 3
maybe 4 vomiting bouts in the last two months - the most recent I found in
the coat closet yesterday.  I suspect Giesela but am not positive (well the
first time it was Giesela but attributed it to possibly eating part of a
catepiller).  They got the barium at about 12:00.  Picture at 2:30, had
passed the stomach into what I would call the small intestine.  Lots of
gassy bubbles (hadn't seen those on previous x-rays).  Took another picture
at 3:30 where it was in the large intestine.  Didn't see any obvious
blockages.  The vet seemed to think this was moving through pretty slow
which puzzled him.  Giesela passed her barium about 4:30, Boris about 4:00.
He said they dont do a full stomach extension where they tube the barium
into the stomach and maybe that was why.  Giesela has been passing bits of
that dark green tarry stuff occasionally, occasional diarehha (I can never
spell that) Boris has had skinny gassy poop passed in small amounts for
months plus he doesn't go as often as Giesela.  Also there was a small
circular thing in Giesela's stomach but he thinks that some valve (he's not
very experienced).  Any other ideas?  They dont seem SICK, just something
not quite right.  I thought about Pepto?

Welcome all comments and info about where to get up to date ferret info like
VIN (have given him some stuff of the net and FAQ).
Thanks
Mary, Boris and Giesela (another barium x-ray?!?!)

[Moderator's note: Noah and VIN are for Vets and associated professionals
ONLY.  I was turned down even though I was willing to pay the steep fee,
promise to shut up and had a vet recommendation.  Noah is on CompuServe
and VIN on AOL.  BIG]