From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 12:01:18 -0600
Mugsy - This morning Mugsy didn't close or slit his eyes when I was holding
him.  That is a good sign.  His temp is staying down too.  He sleeps a lot
still.  He must have been too tired to walk this morning cause he took a
ride on one of the bigger ferrets (Mugsy isn't small).  Weasie was being
most accomodating.  :-)

Recipe Weaning - For those that eat from the syringe we slowly move to a
spoon and then a little platter.  The platter is on a TV tray with a little
towel.  As soon as we get them to lap from the platter I can run around
doing chores while they are eating.  Even if they never go back to hard food
they eat on their own. :-)  Adding more hard food to the recipe doesn't work
at our home.  They won't eat it if it is chunky or too thick.  Little
stinkers. :-)  Usually after eating from the platter for some time they do
move themselves onto the hard food, slowly.

How I do it - Bob mentioned, as have others, he didn't know how I did it
with 60 ferrets.  It is really rather easy.  Mine aren't caged and they have
access to the entire house (not the basement though) and their patio
enclosure.  They have so many friends and so much to do THEY don't have time
for ME!  I sometimes feel neglected.  I have blessed in that when they are
not feeling well they come to me.  I make a mental note of who I've seen
that day and if they don't come out for play or eating I search them out.  I
do have a few that I don't see often as they prefer the quiet places and eat
in privacy.  I do search those out to make sure they are doing o.k.  I
respect their space and they are all very well adjusted.  Incoming adjust
fairly quickly because they have so many friends to show them the ropes. :-)

Oh, I should have most of our expenses in so I'll work up a balance sheet on
the Fredonia operation this weekend and post next week.

Hugs to all.  tle