From:
Alicia K Drakiotes / Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 22:09:23 -0400
breeders, I myself as shelter director have contacted Mr. Peter Reid
directly ( VP at MF) about this possibility.  I was informed that:
1 - he would have to check with his board ? regarding that if it were
possible
2 - the breeders would have to be spayed/neutered by MF and I (the shelter)
would have to absorb the cost,
3 - we would have to absorb also the shipping costs as no one is allowed on
the premises due to contamination risks?,
In all we would have to forfeit $80 or so for each retired breeder to save
it from euthanization.  This is a cost the shelter here cannot absorb, as I
imagine any other shelter could not.

Where is the rationale and good will on behalf of this operation??  This is
somewhat vague to me and my colleagues.  To all those breeders we could not
save-- we are so truly sorry we could not give you the life of a companion
ferret.  How should we as rescue and shelter folks deal with this attitude
on behalf of the ferret mills?  I ask you....