From:
Minta Ruark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 1996 15:22:57 -0800
I haven't posted anything here for several months (been away from my
computer), but I have a question/inquiry.  I recently moved w/my ferrets
into a room w/carpeting.  Up 'til now I've only have hardwood floors.  My
ferrets haven't had any accidents on the carpet yet, however...One of them,
Elsa, has discovered that she enjoys chewing the carpet.  I really don't
care about the carpet itself (it's pretty tough, institutional-style
carpet), but the *noise* this activity creates is spine-tingling.  I've
already taken my bed off its frame b/c she'd do it under the bed where I
couldn't reach her.  Everytime I adjust something in the room she finds
another hidey-hole where she lies down and chews, happily.  It's just an
absolutely horrible noise.  Any suggestions sort of spraying the entire
carpet w/bitter apple?

Also, I have acquired a new ferret, a male named Linus (FYI, he isn't named
after Linus in "Peanuts".  Unbelieveable but true there was no connection in
my head).  This guy is really sweet and loves to play and really goes after
my other ferret Zooey (Elsa isn't much of a "player".  She's a bit of a
loner, if it's conceivable that a ferret would prefer being alone).  He
yelps like a dog sometimes when they're playing but doesn't try and run
away, in fact goes after Zooey everytime.  I had no idea ferrets were
capable of whining like that.  I watch them and it doesn't seem that Zooey
is hurting him.  He is twice her size but she once stared down a 40 lb.
black lab.  Perhaps he's just overly vocal?

Minta