From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 16:52:57 EDT
>Q: If unaltered female ferrets are not bred when they come in heat, they
>usually become sick and die.  This seems to be a very foolish way to
>reproduce.  Is this trait shared by any mustelid cousins?

 I saw this excellent episode of "Land of the Red Bear" that was entirely on
 weasels, ermine, and any other mustelids in the lands of the former Soviet
 Union.  I *highly* recommend watching it.  I especially loved the part on
 polecats who look just like our oldest boy Squirt.  ;) Anyways... there was
 a curious bit on the ermine.  They had videotaped a male ermine mating with
 kits who had not yet opened their eyes.  The narrator said that female
 ermine are almost constantly in the state of being pregnant and if bred
 young, the pregnancy can be "held" (for lack of a better word) until the
 ermine "comes of age." So a constant heat cycle may not be dangerous to
 some wild mustelids.

>Subject: Re: HELP MY FERRETS SMELL AND I MIGHT HAVE TO GET RID OF THEM.
>Now, my parents say that if I can't get the house smelly normal again they
>will have to go.  If you could give me any suggestions on shampoos, sprays,
>etc.  and where to find them, I would be very greatful.

 Clean the bedding and boxes often!  They (I speak from experience!) will
 smell far more than the ferrets themselves.

>I was wondering if they make ferret clothes.  Like hats, sweaters, scarves,
>bandanas, etc. And if they do where do I get them? Or does anyone make them.

 If you go to your local craftstore and look for doll/doll clothes making
 supplies you will find tiny little hats of all shapes, sizes, and colors.
 Decorate as your imagination will allow.  A small elastic band can be sewed
 in or glued to the hat.  (Don't make the elastic too tight.) And Voila!
 You have a hat for your ferret!  ;)

>We've noticed a strange behavior in our ferret, and were wondering if this
>was a typical ferret act or just our fuzzy being cute.  Frequently, when he
>is at his water dish, he'll splash some water around, kind of kicking it
>back towards his body (picture a ferret making swimming motions...

 Yup. He's normal. We have one that we think is part duck. -*quack-dook!*-

>My question is can ferrets dream?  Has anyone else experienced this?

 Yup again.  It's fun to watch their little legs twitch, their eyes move,
 and see them swallow.  One of ours even cries in sleep.  I think dreaming
 is a sure sign of intelligence and we all know how smart ferrets are!

>Do any of you have ferrets with ESP?  You know, like mind readers or
>something.  I swear that several of mine can read minds.

 While I do believe in ESP and I do think it is possible for people and
 animals to communicate, however rudimentary, via a non-verbal, non-visual
 means, sometimes I think people confuse ESP with an animal's skill in
 learning their person.  We have habits and give signals and queues that we
 don't even realize that we are giving.  I can tell you that your dog, cat,
 or ferret knows your moods and habits better than you do yourself.  And
 then...sometimes, they even read your mind.  ;)

>I'm curious as to whether or not we have been blessed with a computer virus
>via the FML? ...  If Mr. Montoya has passed along an infection, ...

 Unless you have 6 fingers on your right hand, you have nothing to fear
 from Mr. Montoya.  ;) (Rent a video of "The Princess Bride" and you'll
 understand.)

-kim,squirt("look ma! I getting new hair!"), pippi (happy squirt is more
 like himself again), atlas (liked it better when squirt slept all day),
 and 'jinx (happy squirt is more like himself again)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.