From:
Laura Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 01:22:28 -0400
Jennifer, in response to your question, Ninja, my first ferret had high
blood sugar.  My vet prefered to use blood tests only since he felt the
urine was not accurate altho' I did do those tests at home.  (I still
remember the puzzled look on her face as I tried to arrange foil in her
litter pan to catch the urine.) As I remember her blood glucose was up into
the 400 to 600 range.  I can't remember the exact dosages but I seem to
think it was around 2 units.  Doc did alot of testing to get the correct
dose.  I'ld bring her in the morning and pick her up at night.  Several of
her poor little toenails cut to the quick.  I'm wondering if your vet needs
to do more, and more frequent testing.  She needed insulin only for about 18
months.  She was 5 years old at the time of onset.  I wonder if the fact
that we gave her too much peppermint candy had been a factor.  (There were a
few christmas's we came home to a ferret with peppermint breath and
partially eaten candy canes stashed behind the furniture!We now know better
than to give Molly and Pepper sweets!)

Unfortunatly I also had to contend with low blood sugars, that was the
worst.  I kept gatorade in the house for emergencies.  Also honey,
marshmallow fluff, Whatever sweet stuff I thought she might take in an
emergency.  I got boxes of droppers at the pharmacy, plastic since I was
afraid she might break the glass ones.  I really relied on watching her for
symptoms more than the urine testing.  I can't remember the type of insulin
we used.  I'm trying to remember what else I can tell you.  It's late as I
write this, If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Please feel free to E-Mail me if you have questions. Good luck!
Laura