From:
Jennifer Morlanne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 17:26:00 EST
I posted a few days ago asking for information from anyone that had
experience with a ferret with diabetes.  Considering I haven't heard
anything, I will assume that it is extremely rare.  I know that my vet
didn't know what to do.

A few days ago Nancy was literally at death's door.  Thanks to my mother's
help we were able to pull her through by sheer will.  We fed her thin gruel
every 3-4 hours to make sure she was taking in liquids and nourishment.  I
had really given up; Nancy seemed so sad, dejected and hopeless; she was
just a limp rag, everytime I saw her I just cried.  Friday night I was ready
to give up on her and made an appointment to put her to sleep but as a last
ditch effort I doubled her Insulin dose (after consulting her vet) and Nancy
work up Saturday morning a new ferret.  She is still not 100% but at least
she is alert and conscious.  Her urine still shows signs of glucose present
and she goes in for a blood test this coming weekend.  But at least I have
some hope that she can have some quality of life left.

If there is anyone who has had any experience with diabetes in ferrets
before PLEASE let me know.  I would like to know what to expect with this
condition and what can be done to make her life more comfortable.  Her vet
is learning from this as I am, and I'm very scared.

Thanks,
Jennifer