From:
Norma-ann Mooney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 11:27:54 -0400
Hello, everyone.  I've been reading over all the info. on what has happened
in NJ and I just don't understand how this could have happened.  I thought
that, maybe, David wasn't able to provide a rabies vacc.  certificate on one
of the ferrets and, since they didn't know which ferret _supposedly_ bit
this Grant character, the Judge used that as a reason to kill all three
fuzzies.  But, after reading the "Chronology of Events", i see that this
isn't the case.

If David showed the Judge up to date vaccine records on all three ferrets
how could the Judge _possibly_ justify the order to kill them?  I would like
to call him up, myself, and ask but i have the feeling he wouldn't be too
willing to chat it up with me about this.  But, all judicial hearings, and
decisions, are a matter of public record, aren't they?  Could someone in NJ
get the papers?  The judge always writes a bit of explanation for his
decision near the end (i forget what that is called) of the document in the
States...doesn't he?  I would love to hear what that is.

Also, i am wondering what the laws are with respect to bite incidences in
NJ.  Does it say that vaccines don't matter?  For ferrets, only?  What if
this had been a dog or cat?  If the vaccine is approved for ferrets, and
more testing has been done on ferrets than cats, or dogs (is that right?),
how could the law be different for ferrets than it is for other domestic
animals?  What can be done?

And, why didn't the Gov. do anything to stop this...after all the calls and
e-mails, and faxes?

I find this all just extremely frustrating.  Those three could have been my
three.  Happy, Healthy, Playful, Loving, Ferrets...murdered.  It breaks my
heart and i feel very helpless right now.

Thanks for any help in answering my above questions.

--Norma-ann,
  President of SOFA
  and Mom to Molly, Leo and Maggie...
  Step-Mom to Oedie and Beckett.