From:
Jeanne Carley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 1996 19:06:27 -0400
Hello FMLers,

I just spoke with the reporter from CBS evening news that conducted the
interviews about the ferret issue in California.  I knew things were heating
up with the Freemen in Montanana (he's just returned from there), but we
also had a flare up of activity here on another local issue-- sea lions vs.
salmon fishermen!  Four sea lions were found shot to death so John (the
reporter) was in Monterey filming that story.

John tells me that he's still working on the ferret story, and that it
should air this week-- I hope so.  But I did turn him on to another aspect
of this issue.  For quite some time now I have been receiving calls from
folks out of state that own ferrets legally and either want to, or have to,
move to California.  I ask all of them to write letters about their
situation and maybe 1 of 20 do so.

Yesterday I received a letter from an ex-Californian with a charming 8 year
old daughter.  The husband, wife and daughter want to return to California,
and the letters, one from the mom and the other from the daughter are
wonderful.  I faxed these to John and said if he's interested in broadening
the story to the millions of folks owning ferrets in other states that find
themselves unwelcome here, this would be an avenue for CBS to persue.  The
folks in PA are willing to participate, and John appeared interested but
we'll just have to see what happens.

On another front, I just received my FA newsletter and found two things I
need to update folks on based on new information from our lobbyist.  First,
the CA Waterfowl folks and the Farm Bureau only dropped their opposition to
HR 37.  They (at least Waterfowl, and probably the Farm Bureau as well) will
make their stand at the eventual Commission hearing.  That is one of the
reasons why, when our time comes for the ferret question to be heard, we
need to write tons of letters to the Fish and Game Commission in support of
legalization.  It will also be a terrific help to dump the FA petitions on
their desk and let's hope that, by that time, it's closer to 20,000
signiatures!

The other thing is that Bob Naylor spoke to the legislative office of
Governor Wilson and was told that the Governor does not have a position on
the ferret issue.  It's quite a shame that the low level staff in his office
don't know this, and that some staffers have been telling the Capitol Press
Corps that he does have a position, and that it's negative.  This simply
isn't true.

I don't think it will hurt though, in fact, I think it will help, to write
POLITE and POSITIVE letters to Governor Wilson reminding him that he has
called for major regulatory reform in this state and that the last two
Governors to legalize ferrets were Governor Weld of MA, and Governor Engler
of MI.  These Governors have all been known for championing less intrusive
government and the ferret ban is a perfect opportunity for Governor Wilson
to give his citizens, and folks from out of state, some relief from a
clearly overzealous agency.

Since Governor Wilson is neutral, please, let's not push him in the wrong
direction.  Make your letters upbeat and positive.  If you wish to write to
the Governor, write to:

Governor Pete Wilson
Governor's Office
State Capitol
Sacramento, CA  95814

Thanks for all of the hard work many of you have been doing over these
months, and in some cases years!  I think the inevitable will happen, that
ferrets will be legalized in California, and that the Department of Fish and
Game's strategy is to delay the inevitable.  But we'll keep pushing.

Jeanne Carley
Legislative Director ([log in to unmask])