From:
Jennifer Lutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 1996 11:49:57 -0500
Christopher:

Please don't declaw Simon.  Because a ferret's claw is not retractable the
way a cat's is, the declawing process would necessitate the partial
amputaion of every toe.  This would be a handicap for any animal.  Ferrets
use their claws for traction, and losing that traction would make them less
able to climb and scamper and be ferrety, so they will probably lose some
muscle mass.  (I believe Bob noticed this in one of his rescue ferrets.)
Also, if a declawed ferret somehow managed to escape its home, it would have
no means of defense against other animals.

Trimming ferret nails is a small chore but isn't hard at all, and isn't a
threat to your ferret's health the way declawing is, as long as you take
care not to cut the quick (the pink part.)

I hope this info helps your decision.

Jen Lutton,
mommy to Casper and Nova, who say, "we like our toes mommy!"