From:
Kelleen Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:38:55 -0800
Ok I'm in the converted garage typing this so I am FREEZING and there may be
some mistakes do to this.  (Thank the ferret GOD that after x-mas the pooter
is going in the spare bedroom in the other part of my house, WARMTH)

To AnNa, I also am boarding ferrets now but they are not in the predicament
yours are.  1st if it was me I would provide to them what you KNOW to be the
proper care regardless of the owner's instructions.  You HAVE to do what you
know is good for the fuzzies and just explain that to him when he returns.
PLEASE print out a copy of the ferret FAQ and highlight areas regarding the
specific conditions of these little guys.  Ask him (or beg him) to please
read it for it will be best for him and his fuzzies in the long run since
better care equals less medical problems and less vet bills in the future.
Pull up all info. from here that you can telling about the pine shavings,
free running food, ear mites etc...  All you can do in the meantime is
improve their lives and if they do look a great deal better when he returns
this can only tell him that you know what you are doing and that listening
to you is a good thing.  If you read in my last post the two that came
Thursday morning to me also had ear mites (AARG!) but I was lucky and was
forewarned (barely) of this and she brought in medication.  If I had not
insisted on a vet record telling me the shots were current (which they
weren't) the mites would never have been discovered before they came here.
In the future I am requesting not only current vaccination records but a
very recent vet visit proclaiming there are NO ear mites or other problems.
I could not afford mentally or financially to deal with all 9 of mine
getting this and especially not other ferrets that I am ferret-sitting.  You
may want to ask for the same in the future.  All I asked of the owners was
permission to take them immediately to a vet, either of their choice or
mine, if ANYTHING were to go wrong and that they would reimburse the fees.
My people actually insisted I do this when I brought it up.  As I ferret-sit
more and more I'm sure new wrinkles will occur and I will let you know what
I learn as I learn it.  Please share your experiences with me as well so we
can learn how best to do this together.  Much nicer to have someone to talk
to in the same boat as you.  Don't feel bad requiring the medical proof of
these things because if I hadn't then these last two would not have gotten
current shots nor would the mites have gotten treated.  I feel I just
improved their lives before I ever even saw them by doing this :-).

LYNN MC., I would have to say having followed your saga that the choice not
to breed would be the better one IMO.  If there are that many ferrets
needing homes already then by all means don't take their potential adopters
away from them by offering tiny, cute kits as an option.  I think it would
be grand of you to get involved with a shelter, club, rescue and do
fostering.  That would be much more gratifying to me anyway.  I know since
I've been doing that type of work lately and I feel I have made a very big
difference in many fuzzies lives out there, and to me that is what it all
boils down to.  Thanks for being open-minded about it all and doing the
research that will help you to the right decision.

Joyce Meadows, You absolutely have recourse if the store sold you something
other than what they said.  1st go and talk to the owner if possible or at
the very least the head manager.  Be very nice and kind about it simply
explaining what eventually happened and show them the copies of the medical
bills and ask politely if they would please reimburse you for this.  If they
are %$$%@@$^& then go file against them in small claims court and win the
case.  When you talk to the store I would even suggest taking a pocket
recorder so you can record the entire discussion w/o them knowing it and
then you will have that to back up your case if it goes to court.  They will
also have to pay your court costs if you win.  If people don't start holding
these pet stores responsable for their actions then it will continue forever
and there will be a long line of people having gone thru just what you are
going thru.  Good luck and feel free to write me anytime for help or advice.

MERRY X-MAS AND A CHORTLING NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!!  I LOVE THIS PLACE!

*          Kelleen & The INSANE Animal House        *
*          President & Founder of                   *

*F.A.N.G. - Ferret Association of Neverending Glee  *
*Location : Boise, Idaho                            *
*I'll take a good animal over a good mate anyday,   *
*all THEY want is lots of love and great chow!!!!   *